I Just Couldnt Pass It Up For Fifty Bucks With Shipping

micropterus101

Just recieved it in the mail today. Definetly fake.

Air bubbles in the resin fake. The rock is real.

What they did was make a mold and cast a thin reproduction. The reproduction is put a on a section of slate and a watered down morter mix is then rubbed over the resin cast to blend it in with the rock.

Lets see a better pic of that bad boy! I hope you left some negative feedback for that. Report him to paypal as fraud and you can get your money back.

Edited by bigjohn835

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

I agree there is much more satifaction in finding my own fossils, but a trip to China is way out of my budget. Heres a link with pictures of the fossils I do collect myself below.

http://s34.photobuck...micropterus101/

Jeezle! With all that sweet marine life who needs China......... Are those concretions you find , or geodes? How do you tell them apart? Great collection micropterus!

They should be honest and say they are fakes or copies.... then they could get away with making more elaborate focal pieces for the less decerning collector.... Like a kech chasing a shoal of trilobites.......

That would be kinda cool actually. Would make great display pieces even for people who don't collect fossils.

Paypal and Ebay won't help any buyer even if you can prove the seller is sneaky and lies in his ad's. They want you to spend your money to send it back. Ebay says they might pay for return shipping but good luck trying to pin them down on what those circumstances are. Always use a credit card through paypal to preserve your rights.

After I made a big stink about a VW parts seller and gave a brutaly honest negative feedback, 3 other buyers followed my lead, instead of just walking away and we shut that dishonest seller down. He probably opened up under another name on ebay.

Still got jerked around by seller and ebay when I provided proof of delivery. I finally got my credit card co to reverse the charge and then ebay came through 3 weeks later. Never check up on it again,but maybe I got my money back twice.

I gave him a neutral feedback and let everybody know they were fakes. I havent gotten around to taking pics of it yet.

Just Neutral? Most people only check if the a sellers feedback is less than 100%, so I do not think you accomplished your goal by leaving a neutral message discouraging future buyers...

PzF

Thumbs up for just giving neutral feedback.

What are you expecting? You reckon the seller to be some kind of vertebrate paleontologist? It's just some small-time merchant selling what to him is "a rock".

There'll be enough people out there selling you fakes, partial fakes or whatever. In fossil business and anywhere else. The key to not getting faked is knowledge, and at the end of the day I just wonder: Who makes the decision to buy something?

Just recieved it in the mail today. Definetly fake.

Air bubbles in the resin fake. The rock is real.

Sorry to hear that it is a fake. I would have been just as easily taken. It looked good to me. I agree with the individual that mentioned using your credit card through paypal. By law, the credit card company has to credit your account until the dispute is resolved. If the dispute is never resolved, the money stays with you. I have done this a couple of times with just regular credit card purchases and have ended up keeping my money.

crinus

Micropterus101,

What's the first rule of Fossil Forum?...Don't buy keichousaurs on Ebay! You must be feeling lucky after getting that great Aturia piece back. I hope it works out for you.

Well, let's modify the first rule: Don't buy keichousaurs on eBay if you don't know the guy you are dealing with. I've seen a lot of crooks (and not only from China, but also from Germany, the US and elsewhere) but thankfully, also a couple of very trustworthy and knowledgeable Chinese fossil dealers. You can find a couple of them here in this forum!

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

If paid three hundred bucks for the fake I would definetly call party foul and leave negative feedback.

I took a gamble that it was just unpreppared or he didnt care what he sold it for. I broke even as I see it. I learned something and got some fake dinosaurs to show off. Heres a better pic. You can clearly see its fake no ifs ands or buts. notice the easy to notice air bubbles in the resin high spots.

Maybe I will put it up on ebay as a fake and see what happens

fake dinosaur for sale no reserve! LOL

fake.jpg

Edited by micropterus101

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, there's only one or two spots I'd buy a Keichousaurus from, and neither of them's eBay. Although, I think, for one of those places, I'd buy a certain Platecarpus skull I've had my eye on for a while instead of one of their Keichousaurs (which, incidentally, have excellent photos that show a great degree of skeletal detail. If their money-back guarantee wasn't enough, that cinched it.)