shipping to Europe....

jpc

Hey everyone.... Has anyone tried and been successful at shipping  a heavy turtle-shaped rock to Europe from the US?  This one weighs 90 pounds and the costs I am getting omline all are running about 1000 USD... a bit steep.  

Any hints? 

thx

jpc  

If it's a turtle-shaped rock then maybe just let it swim across the Atlantic?

I haven't shipped anything heavy international so not sure of a cheaper method without throwing it in the ocean.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

12 hours ago, jpc said:

Hey everyone.... Has anyone tried and been successful at shipping  a heavy turtle-shaped rock to Europe from the US?  This one weighs 90 pounds and the costs I am getting omline all are running about 1000 USD... a bit steep.  

Any hints? 

thx

jpc  

Curious if you have tried an international courier service? I've never used any of them unfortunately, but my assumption is they would be several hundred dollars cheaper. 

Cheers,
Brett

Hi, JPC. Unfortunately I don't think you are going to be able find a good place to ship something like that that for much cheaper, unfortunately... And according to online, international couriers are usually more expensive than USPS...

If you do find a way to ship it cheaper, please let us know! :Smiling: It could definitely come in handy to know of a good, cheaper international shipping option for heavy items.

-Micah 

Almost cheaper to hop on a plane, hand deliver and take a vacation while you're there.

Edited by FB003
  • I Agree 1

*Frank*

Let the person you're shipping to pay the shipping charges. :)

• I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I checked my favorite shipping service and this is a sample:

tempsnip.thumb.jpg.1ac1d914b83670afe42227e7e424169b.jpg

Its not cheap but its not $1,000 either. 

Feel free to PM for a link to the service. 

• I found this Informative 2

17 hours ago, Crusty_Crab said:

I checked my favorite shipping service and this is a sample:

tempsnip.thumb.jpg.1ac1d914b83670afe42227e7e424169b.jpg

Its not cheap but its not $1,000 either. 

Feel free to PM for a link to the service. 

That is pretty good! If I ever need to ship something heavy to, Europe, then now I know what to use. 

-Micah

Edited by fossilhunter21