New Bony-Skulled Dinosaur Species Discovered In Texas

Smaug

Bone heads in Texas? Who'da thunk it... :P

Big Bend is way, way cool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great!, Its getting to be a quite exciting time for dino researchers so many new finds and so many more questions(and perhaps answers)

The US is giving up a new specimen practically every month.

Thanks for posting another good read on Dinosaurs

Aren't most Texans bone heads :D

Thanks for posting another good read on Dinosaurs

Aren't most Texans bone heads :D

The Big Bend area has produced some significant finds through the years. Wann Langston (practically a legend in TX paleontology) is responsible for a lot of research from that area.

;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I have a hunch that Texacephale will turn out to be Stegoceras. I noticed that the paper on Texacephale treated Pachycephalosaurus, Stygimoloch and Dracorex as separate species, but a landmark paper by John Horner and Mark Goodwin shows that Pachys showed extreme changes in their skull shapes during growth. It turns out that the three aforementioned species are all just different growth stages of the same animal. It is thus very likely that Texacephale will turn out to be an invalid species and the specimen will fall under the Stegoceras umbrella, especially since it is described only from a single dome.

Personally, I think it's very cool that they published on the find, even if it turns out that it isn't a new species. It certainly extends the geographic range of Pachys so that alone makes it worth describing.

BTW, the Horner and Goodwin paper is available for free from here:

Extreme Cranial Ontogeny in the Upper Cretaceous Dinosaur Pachycephalosaurus

John

“When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.” - Jack Handy