2022 MAPS Fossil Show- Springfield, Illinois

Nimravis

I was able to make the show on Friday. This was my first time attending and I wished I had allotted more time especially to sift through the incredible selection of antiquarian books. The hotel show was an interesting setup. Had fun chatting with the dealers. 

• Enjoyed 1

7 hours ago, siteseer said:

I remember the people running the MAPS show for a while wanted to keep the show small.  They didn't want to expand or move from Macomb but a hotel show started in 1994 or 1995.  Other people took over later and they moved the show but I don't think MAPS will let in mineral dealers.  It's whole deal is being fossils only like the Tampa Fossil Fest.  I was at the MAPS show in '94 and '95.  They used to have it in the spring about when the weather was warming up (April-May).  A lot of the dealers were collectors selling their extras rather than professional dealers.  They didn't even have lights.  I met some great people and found some great stuff.

You are correct about this. I think I started going around the same time frame as you. Prior to that I always thought that I had Pit 11 to myself, since everyone was at MAPS, I later decided to hit the show.

I really enjoyed it when it was held in the Student Hall building at WIU in Macomb, I remember some of the shows back then were really large and there was spilled over vendors that line the long hallway next to the student hall. Then for some reason it moved out of there and into the gymnasium, it did not seem to be as large going forward after that move. I never did visit the hotel Shows during that time frame, and I really do enjoy that portion of the show. Back in th day there were a couple vendors that came from Germany and South America and they had some great items for sale.

The drive to Iowa city was a lot easier for me versus the drive to Macomb, so I did not mind that move. But at the venue that they had the show, it was always so dark in there and sometimes because it was earlier in the year, it also was very cold. This new venue in Springfield is by far the nicest location that they have had, at least in my opinion. It is a short distance off of interstate 55, the hotel is very nice and there are tons of places for people to get food, that is one thing that was lacking at all of the other locations. Hopefully word will get around to other vendors and dealers and they will start making this a “must visit” to sell their items.

13 hours ago, Nimravis said:

It is not, I am 99% sure he said it was the plant portion, but I know he said Radicities.

He may have meant Radstockia and misspoke.

Anyway, thanks for the report and that double Lepidostrobophyllum from Vigo County is really super, as well as the ones from Daviess!

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
  • Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

3 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Anyway, thanks for the report and that double Lepidostrobophyllum from Daviess County is really super!

He would have said it correctly and I misunderstood, thanks Mark.

2 minutes ago, Nimravis said:
7 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Anyway, thanks for the report and that double Lepidostrobophyllum from Daviess County is really super!

He would have said it correctly and I misunderstood, thanks Mark.

I have often said Pecopteris when I meant to say Neuropteris. It happens. Oh, and I made the correction from Daviess to Vigo county on the Lepidostrobophyllum. I misspoke -- AGAIN. :)

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

11 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Anyway, thanks for the report and that double Lepidostrobophyllum from Vigo County is really super, as well as the ones from Daviess!

I just changed the name in my original post. Thanks