Why is this Stone so flat and sharp on one side? Is it natural or man made?

Golfer

Why is this stone so flat and sharp on one side?  Is this natural or man made?  Found in a pile of dirt dug from the earth by a utility crew in Queens New York.  See size in photo.  I feel a thumb and finger hold on one side. It is very sharp.  Thank you. 

ADD57ABC-4652-4CDA-BC0B-97E827D077B5.jpeg

5A953A1C-6E7B-45F6-A7E0-0A0B7F3A9184.jpeg

5869CEB7-7EDC-42F9-A780-C55210582120.jpeg

55CBF32D-28F7-4BBB-B5B3-79126E825A6B.jpeg

2E6C1567-038B-4A2C-B47F-1CBB973574FB.jpeg

9E286B2C-F5DB-40E7-AD6E-CECA40D1D82E.jpeg

315A6037-0E06-44AD-A90F-A1C11A082F85.jpeg

17EAFC4B-99F9-414A-84E9-02E27B0EA63D.jpeg

B4600D0F-3763-493F-8C48-A617B9ED0E05.jpeg

Looks like a natural way for that stone to break if hit hard by nature or a human. 

• I Agree 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Flat, yes--but not smooth as in polished. This is likely naturally produced and could be the result of a simple fracture. This particular type of rock could either have a bedding plane or a crystal structure that would make such a clean split. Alternatively, since this rock came from a higher latitude up in NY it might possibly be the result of glacial activity--something similar to glacial polishing or striation. All these are just a guess as to a cause for this cleaving/grinding that will likely never be known unless more rocks from that context can support a theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacial_polish

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacial_striation

Does not match the shape of any known human-produced tools so simply having a flat plane on one side is not sufficient indication for this to have been produced by humans. Though it does rather remind me of natural rocks that are split with one flat side which are often used to add to the surface of structures like walls or chimneys to make them appear to be built entirely out of field stones.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

By smooth I mean when I run my finger over the flat surface is feels very smooth.  Definitely not polished. Thank you all for your contributions.  The hole they came out of was about 6 feet deep. 

It broke in a flat plane parallel to the bedding plane. Sedimentary rocks commonly do that when they drop from a height and hit other rocks. Flat with sharp edges is extremely common in the world of rocks!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!