Queensland Australia, rules and regulations

N.Mckenzie

Hi all, 

I'm heading off to Australia for a few weeks in April and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some pointers around the laws and niceties regarding fossil hunting in that state. I found notes online regarding fossicking licences, and some designated fossicking sites, but what about outside of these areas? Obviously I won't be poking around on private land but any issues around checking out creeks, outcrops etc. on public land/side of the road/along the coast? 

...Also any areas worth looking into in more detail wouldn't go unappreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I would get in touch with the Queensland Museum (https://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Explore/Find+out+about/Behind+the+Scenes/Collecting+fossils) with your questions as they would be in a much better position to advise you on legalities of collecting as opposed to any of us providing information that could be anecdotal or out of date. The last thing you would want is to get into any sticky legal troubles on the basis of what a few well-meaning folks on the internet told you. ;) 

• I Agree 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• 3 months later...
21 hours ago, rodrex said:

Richmond in Queensland has a designated fossil site for collection cretaceous marine fossils.

oh, wow, nice to hear. Have you been there? How is the situation there at the moment?