Triassic Tooth from Redonda Formation, labelled as possibly Postosuchus

DarasFossils

Hello, I bought this tooth from a popular fossil selling website where it was labelled as 'Postosuchus?' but the description says it is from the Redonda Formation which has not had a Postosuchus formally described from it. I'm aware there a few other species from this formation that are also pseudosuchians and could have a similar type of tooth, which I do not mind if it is one of them. Although, I absolutely love Postosuchus as a creature and I hoping that is what it is, though I know it's definitely unlikely. From my research, I assume it's Redondasaurus but this particular site has several other teeth from this formation specifically labelled as Redondasaurus so I assume there is a reason why they labelled this one and a few others differently. I've seen small teeth like this labelled as Coelophysis but I know that's extremely unlikely because it's not recurved but if it was that would be super cool! I don't have the greatest lighting equipment in my house to take pictures of it, but I can provide some shotty ones if that would be helpful! The tooth is 0.74 inches long, so quite small. The picture below is from the website I bought it from and it shows the detail much better than a photo I could take. Please don't be afraid to disappoint me! I just want to know what this tooth is!

image.png.a0957ca193099dd052ca2a44b408355b.png

It looks like an Archosauriform tooth that's all I can say.  These isolated teeth are hard to ID and best looked at by paleontologists who are familiar with these deposits.

You can try contacting one of the authors of this paper.

A giant phytosaur (Reptilia: Archosauria) skull from the Redonda Formation
(Upper Triassic: Apachean) of east-central New Mexico
Andrew B. Heckert, Spencer G. Lucas, Adrian P. Hunt, and Jerald D. Harris
2001, pp. 169-176. https://doi.org/10.56577/FFC-52.169

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me