Our Awesome Nsr Find

Lindsey

We took the kayaks out to NSR today and spent a few hours of searching with only two verts found. We called it a day and made our exhausting paddle back to the bridge. As I'm dragging the kayak up onto the bank I noticed a very nice vert, having believed that place had been very overlooked we started doing some more searching. Almost right below the bridge my fiance finds a matrix of bones staring up at him, after the steep climb with this 50lb rock we now have our best item in our collection.

post-2208-12722525569781_thumb.jpg

post-2208-12722526231875_thumb.jpg

Awesome find! :D You would be surprised at how overlooked the bridges are. Most people hit the river and start walking away from the bridges thinking the area has already been searched.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Wow Lindsey, what a really cool find! Congrats to your fiance!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Wow.... :wub:

And to top it all off, you didn't have to drag it around with you all day!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Man...that looks like the Vert find of the Month :wub:

Be true to the reality you create.

Yeah good idea, I will have to post it in there. Thanks everyone, we will start checking the bridge area out more. Didn't have to carry it around all the day but still had to get it out of the river haha.

Well I have learned that I can't put this in find of the month because my fiance found it

So, why isn't he a member?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

He really doesn't like getting on the computer, well at least not as much as me lol. I will try and see, but the month would be over by that time.

I couldn't id a bone to save my life, with that said we pretty much just assume any bone or vert we find is Mosasaur, that's about all we know is down there well of course except all the sharks.

you have to be careful with that assumption. there were plesiosaurs and bony fishes of various species too. i've a book which noted several dino bones found in the area that were apparently float material that got out into the seaway somehow. additionally, you've got the more recent land-based stuff.

if you know what pleistocene and holocene stuff is preserved like, and you can differentiate fish bone from the marine reptiles, then you're probably fairly safe with your assumptions on the fragments as being marine reptile, but most of them can't really be narrowed further as to id, except the verts and jawbones.

Yeah I need to actually sit down and start studying on this, I really want to be a knowledgeable fossil hunter someday. But we do learn each time, for instance twice we have found a bone that has fossilized enough to become rock form but yet to be filled in with the crystal looking material, sorry you will have to excuse my way of explaining that lol. Though it bugs me not knowing what era it came from, we do have 2 books to get me started.

Yeah I need to actually sit down and start studying on this, I really want to be a knowledgeable fossil hunter someday. But we do learn each time, for instance twice we have found a bone that has fossilized enough to become rock form but yet to be filled in with the crystal looking material, sorry you will have to excuse my way of explaining that lol. Though it bugs me not knowing what era it came from, we do have 2 books to get me started.

Have you looked at a geologic map of the area? That would help a lot along with the area it was found. From my personal experience Centra on plesiosaurs tend to be shorter and more disc like. Mosasaurs tend to be more elongated and not disc like at all. The other thing that weighs in my mind toward mosasaur are the ribs.. the most complete one at the top is very typical of smaller mosasaurs. The Proximal end of the ribs tends to widden and flatten while the distal end about the same thickness to slightly smaller than the most of the rib.

Example of part of a set of mosasaur vertebrae I have been preparing for a while now on and off. Oh, and really awesome find by the way, I'm rather jealous!