Highway cut through find

ChrisSarahRox

This one marks a very profound moment in my life. While out carnelian hunting 3 years ago on a dirt road heading out to the "Gray Ranch" , there had been plans at the time to pave but funding was never granted. The work had already begun and parts of the road had already been graded and widened. Among the roadside rubble was this curious looking "driftwood" so naturally I had to investigate. It was barely visible as only 5 or 6 inches was above the rubble pile. To my absolute amazement this log was no longer a log but a solid rock. I said it marked a profound moment because the following day I learned of my stage 4 Cygnus melanomas so it has been almost impossible to look at until now. For the record, I have won this round with cancer and will remain cautiously optimistic for the foreseeable future. As for my find, it's very cool to say the least. It weighs easily over 100 lbs. And has an overall length of 26inces and a 24 inch circumference at it's widest. 

I no longer see it as a bad omen or anything unfortunate for me simply for one reason,...I still live to write these words. Hope this forum will help me discover it's origins. Thank you. 

20221204_232318.jpg

20221204_232308.jpg

20221204_232457.jpg

20221204_232259.jpg

20221204_232616.jpg

20221204_232547.jpg

20221204_232703.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

This is definitely a fine piece of fossil wood. The transectional view (bottom photo) is generally the most diagnostic. It may help to post a straight on photo of it.

I don't have the experience to identify it further, but you might want to image search araucarioxylon while you wait for more responses.

• I Agree 3

Congratulations for winning the battle!  Optimism is everything, well maybe not on TFF but it helps :)   My first thought was driftwood also and bet the pictures don't do it justice.

• I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

This is definitely a fine piece of fossil wood. The transectional view (bottom photo) is generally the most diagnostic. It may help to post a straight on photo of it.

I don't have the experience to identify it further, but you might want to image search araucarioxylon while you wait for more responses.

I definitely agree that better photos are needed however my lower back says " nah those out of focus dark pics are just fine" . I will try to take better ones later today.

1 hour ago, Lone Hunter said:

Congratulations for winning the battle!  Optimism is everything, well maybe not on TFF but it helps :)   My first thought was driftwood also and bet the pictures don't do it justice.

Thank you sincerely, my pictures truly don't do it justice. I will try to get better photos later today or when I'm able to manipulate gravity at my will. 

• Enjoyed 1

46 minutes ago, ChrisSarahRox said:

I definitely agree that better photos are needed however my lower back says " nah those out of focus dark pics are just fine" . I will try to take better ones later today.

As someone with a surgically altered lower back, I understand. :Smiling: 

• I Agree 1

6 hours ago, ChrisSarahRox said:

stage 4 Cygnus melanomas

My sister was afflicted with the same over 15 years ago. Her health remains great! Hope a similar result is experienced by you!!!!! By the way, nice log!

Mike 

5 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

My sister was afflicted with the same over 15 years ago. Her health remains great! Hope a similar result is experienced by you!!!!! By the way, nice log!

Mike 

It's stories like this that have helped a great deal. Thanks to your sister and you as well Mike. 

• Thank You 1

Nice piece of petrified wood. The outer surface looks a lot like diamond willow. I'll bet that is not what it is but the look of the knot holes on the outer surface looks just like it.