Can my Giant Clam shell (Tridacna gigas, 250lbs one half of the full bivalve shell, 39" broken in half) be restored like fossils?

RiseOfTheExtinct

Hello! I just moved to San Antonio, TX. I brought my giant clam collection with me. Please me out please before saying this post doesn't belong here.

So, my biggest giant clam shell broke in half during the move, and I want to repair it. I'd assume its a lot like restoring fossils, which is why I'm in need of your help. Here are my questions:

#1: Can I restore a modern giant clam shell with fossil restoration products?

#2: If #1 is yes, then what would be the best adhesive/restoration product for restoring tiny and big, light and VERY heavy pieces of seashell?

#3: Does anyone live near San Antonio TX that I could pay to have them help me fix it? (If so, I have further requests on how to do it and make it more like a piece of art than a shell. Until someone can help me, I'm trying to learn as much as I can in case I have to do it myself.)

#4: Any other information that would be useful for my pursuit? 

Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate your help!!!

P.S.: I don't have any pics as I haven't unpacked yet. I will give pics as soon as I can and have the chance.

• Enjoyed 1

:trilo:  RiseOfTheExtinct  :ammonite01:

"There's no shame in being weird. I'm have the obsession of mollusks. You're the one who always forgets your coffee. We're all weird in our own ways.

Don't forget that, weirdo whose even weirder than me..."

5 minutes later... Said by someone else...

"Hey, weirdo, you forgot your coffee on your desk..."

Wow! 250 pounds! For that kind of weight i would think you would need an epoxy cement or epoxy resin. Caution you gotta get it right the first time. It’s mostly non reversable. It’s difficult or impossible to reposition or correct once it dries. I don’t know if they still do but from what i’ve read some museums used to use them for large elephant bones that would be handled…

Anything is possible with the application of enough money and time.  ITs really hard to give any concrete answers without know exactly what we are discussing. and the nature of the breaks.  In general though, yes, it should be repairable with common paleo products and techniques.  

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

You definitely need an epoxy for that kind of weight. you will need to build a support structure that will hold it in place and allow you to clamp the pieces together. You will want a slow setting epoxy with a high strength. Pics would be very helpful when you can get them.

• Enjoyed 1

20 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

You definitely need an epoxy for that kind of weight. you will need to build a support structure that will hold it in place and allow you to clamp the pieces together. You will want a slow setting epoxy with a high strength. Pics would be very helpful when you can get them.

I agree... not five minute epoxy.  that stuff gets old a brittle within 5to 10 years.  Use two-ton epoxy. 

• I found this Informative 1