Texas Echies - Some NEW ones FINALLY!

JamieLynn

It has been about a year since I posted any new Echinoid finds! And not for lack of hunting! I guess I am at that point where I've found all the "basics" and am heading into "rarer" territory. I am happy to say after SO LONG....I had a bumper couple of months and found no less that 5 new (to me) echinoids! 

The first one was on a little creek hunt with my friend Matthew after we had both been vending at the Hill Country Fossil and Mineral Expo.  The Expo was put on by the Texas Through Time Museum in Hillsboro. A great little show highlighting Texas Fossils but included some gem and mineral sellers too.  The Expo didn't start till noon on Sunday, so we went early to a small creek and found some great ammonites and large Macraster echies, but I was happy to find a Washitaster! It's pretty waterworn, but that's okay. 

981446407_KTXECH265EchinoidWashitasterSpeaglevilleCkDuckCk(1).thumb.JPG.ea6fbd79cdb597bb42f1cce68b363d47.JPG

Found a nice, if slightly crushed Macraster texana, a defintely better one than I already had.

1999132545_KTXECH264EchinoidMacrastertexanusSpeaglevilleCkDuckCk.thumb.JPG.87b6569bca0e7b422428a3c8f8decfed.JPG

The end of this day was one of the most spectacular sunsets I've seen in a long while. Texas Big Sky is amazing sometimes:

IMG_20221022_190248383.thumb.jpg.66c2b39456b758e1f3e7e71924027c95.jpg

Next was on the way to Glen Rose Tx FossilMania show - which if you are ever in Texas over the Halloween weekend....you should come! It's great fun! Vendors, Door Prizes, Lectures, Silent Auction, Displays, etc.....plus the kids tend to come in costume and it's really fun. And Mr. Farris usually brings his helium shark and chases people around the room.....

2017758928_MrFarishandhisShark.thumb.jpg.3f6d9965034dd52931df8475418eb54e.jpg

But I digress....back to the fossil hunting. I scouted out some areas that I hoped were Comanche Peak formation because I was TRYING to find a Tetragramma taffi.....a big regular echinoid that has eluded me so far. But instead of the T taffi I found something equally as exciting to me! A Pedinopsis!  It's a scrappy one...not very pretty, but hey, I'll take it...and I did.  Actually I think Pedinopsis is now called Dumblea...not sure why.  But yay!! New Fossil!

218376861_KTXECH266EchinoidPednopsisengerrandiComPeak(2).thumb.JPG.bdb3bead9dc26751f074c7241774d084.JPG

The following weekend (first weekend in November) was the THIRD Fossil Show I was part of and if you have not been to the Paleontological Society of Austin's Fossil Fest, you are MISSING OUT. I've been a member of PSoA for a few years now but this was the first year I got to go to Fossil Fest and I was astounded.....so many incredible displays, interactive games for kids, lectures, vendors, and more! It was truly one of the best weekends I've ever had.  Here are a few pictures:

Our Dancing Tricera-selfie-tops

827925428_IMG_20221105_1354545232.thumb.jpg.294cf71579728d2dd6debb3a2845cc98.jpg

My display:

IMG_20221105_083828697.thumb.jpg.c7117815b6273119094948975c2c076b.jpg

UT Display

IMG_20221105_092052953.thumb.jpg.8a03d0bc61cbbfcf243fd9133fcd571a.jpg

I got a lovely little echie from my friend Erich who was kind enough to gift this little Goniopygus sp. to me! 

1112370282_KTXECH262EchinoidGoniopygussp.GRBoatramp(3).thumb.JPG.7158b4b492b9be6aae33780e83541688.JPG

After all the excitement of the "Triple Crown" of fossil shows, I was ready to do a little local fossil hunting and was beyond excited to finally find a bit of Corsicana formation and found the following awesome echies!!

edited for correct ID: Echinoid Hemiaster bexari

1228955877_KTXECH273EchinoidDiplodetus(Plesiaster)americanusABirdPepperStSACorsicana(1).thumb.JPG.61881cce79ac6a5ed82137515a1b5a9d.JPG

Edited for Correct ID Echinoid Diplodetus (Plesiaster) americanus

1449357472_KTXECH275EchinoidHemiasterbexariBirdPepperStSACorsicana.thumb.JPG.50ce58d680131cbf5af633585b207d53.JPG

And my absolute favorite find of all of them....a Codiopsis stephensoni! It's scrappy, but I'm going to have it prepped a bit. 

449744949_KTXECH272EchinoidCodiopsisstephensoniBirdPepperStSACorsicana(1).thumb.JPG.16ce70d4a3ac83a19b59d445e2f74b06.JPG

So, a great time was had by all, especially me. And YAY...NEW ECHIES OF TEXAS!! 

• Enjoyed 25

Lovely echies! :wub: :wub: :wub:

I'm more than a little envious of you Texas folk who have such a diversity of echinoids (and ammonites, and decapods, and...) in your neighborhood.  There is only one (!) site with any diversity to speak of in Georgia (that I know about anyway) and access has been closed for a couple of years now.

Don

Glad of your successes, I was pretty bummed to miss fossil fest this year. Was cooped up studying all of Halloweekend! Next year I'm going to try and go at all costs :Jumping:

• Enjoyed 2

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Some fantastic fossil finds! My favorite is hands down that codiopsis. I went to fossil fest and instantly recognized some of the specimens on display from your albums on here. I'm always using those albums to ID my various invert finds!

• Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

Lovely echies! :wub: :wub: :wub:

I'm more than a little envious of you Texas folk who have such a diversity of echinoids (and ammonites, and decapods, and...) in your neighborhood.  There is only one (!) site with any diversity to speak of in Georgia (that I know about anyway) and access has been closed for a couple of years now.

Don

Yeah, ,great post.  Thanks for sharing 

If you find an echie in Wyoming, you are having a great year.  

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

You have your Hemiaster and Diplodetus reversed

• I found this Informative 2

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Fun report and some super echinoids. 

Glad you've added some new ones to your collection. 

Thanks for sharing. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

@historianmichael thanks for the catch!

@JohnJ - I was going by the Collectors Guide to Texas Cretaceous Echinoids and it says  Pedinopsids "The old genus name for Dumblea is Pedinopsis"  So now I'm confused. 

Dumblea is a Pedinopsid.  Dumblea used to called Pedinopsis, but was later renamed to Dumblea.  

Morgan states Pedinopsis was the "old genus name".  ;)

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Congrats on them all! I especially love the gonio :wub: I LOVE that picture you took of the sunset! Dawn and dusk here in DFW is something I really love about living in Texas, they are always so loud and colorful! 

I didnt get to go this year due to work obligations but next year for sure! Silent auctions are always fun. 

HAH I love Roger with that shark balloon! He actually had it out again last night at the DPS party. 

• Enjoyed 1

On 12/13/2022 at 5:54 PM, JamieLynn said:

Ahhh...and so that's sad then that Pedinopsis is not even represented in that book. 

They are both valid genera. But the Texas species was moved to Dumblea if I understand it correctly. So Dumblea is a genus in the family of Pedinopsids.  If you go to the echinoid directory you will see species that are still Pedinopsis and others in Dumblea.  

• I found this Informative 2

• 1 year later...

Fantastic finds and thanks for sharing! 

Not to be "that guy", but did you notice the Pleistocene Epoch on the display says the same age as the Permain?

4 hours ago, Brazos Aaron said:

Fantastic finds and thanks for sharing! 

Not to be "that guy", but did you notice the Pleistocene Epoch on the display says the same age as the Permain?

Yes,  I noticed it after I took it down...it is corrected now as this was from last years 2022 event.