Rare 95 Million-Year-Old Flying Reptile Aetodactylus Halli Is New Pterosaur Genus, Species

Smaug

I don't think it gets much cooler than that.. Finding a new one

and the honor of having it named after you...

Congratulations, Lance....

Now why didn't I find it...:P

There's an very interesting pdf also...

Welcome to the forum!

"I approve of your fossil" :bow:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Congratulations Lance on your fine discovery and contributions to science!... what a great legacy....

Peter

Wow, that's really cool. Amazingly well preserved too. Has anyone been trying to find more of the skeleton at the site or is it really an extraordinary, one-off find?

“When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.” - Jack Handy

Wow, that's really cool. Amazingly well preserved too. Has anyone been trying to find more of the skeleton at the site or is it really an extraordinary, one-off find?

I dug a couple feet into the hill but found nothing else.

I suspect the carcass floated a long time and it lost it's teeth totally and separted from the rest of the skull before resting on the sea floor but can't know for sure.

I found it upside down so if it had teeth when it rested on the sea floor I think the teeth would have still been under it.

Congrats again, Lance. Your passion for the science behind the collecting is apparent. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

The local CBS affiliate did a small story on it. Click the video link to the right.

http://cbs11tv.com/greenlife/Pterosaur.prehistoric.reptile.2.1672232.html

My Hero! :wub:

Just watching the ripples spread...think how many folks will be exposed to the world under their feet! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You ROCK, Lance. Great impromptu discovery by the reporter. :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Lance,

Congratulations - you are an inspiration!!! Very, Very cool!!cool.gifbiggrin.gif

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 4 months later...

The one on Karen Carr's site is a revision of the original drawing becasue the original drawing had way too many teeth. Some of the images with too many teeth appeared online. The fewer teeth version is the more accurate I believe.

Here is the actual mandible (lower jaw):

post-11-088225900 1285282017_thumb.jpg

Edited by LanceHall

Just a beautiful beast..... I sure would have loved to have seen it flying,

just one time..

Glad you added a pic of the actual lower jaw..

Welcome to the forum!

That's pretty interesting, and scary...

That said, I want one.

I'm not much for reptiles, but I'm finding I have a soft spot for the flying ones.