Dire wolf premolar - upper P2 or lower p2?

Meganeura

Hey everyone! Found a dire wolf premolar today. I know it’s a 2nd premolar, but I’m not sure if it’s upper or lower. It’s 0.6”/ 15mm in length. @Shellseeker do you happen to know?

1E5B72A8-A24F-4765-A620-B2292D707823.thumb.jpeg.0088357cfe58f7d7e959ccaf026b5e4b.jpeg6CEF847A-EA54-41A6-890B-A7B63A71B3D0.thumb.jpeg.0d95865352ba3f623727f5aaba8a98e2.jpeg

Edited by Meganeura
  • Enjoyed 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

What is the size of the tooth. Looks like it could be a bit small for a dire wolf if you have small hands like me. The smallest P3 of dire wolf at La Brea Tar pits was about 14.1 mm. This is why Coco is on us all the time! I too frequently miss adding a measuring device for size.

Edited by minnbuckeye
  • Enjoyed 1

34 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

What is the size of the tooth. Looks like it could be a bit small for a dire wolf if you have small hands like me. The smallest P3 of dire wolf at La Brea Tar pits was about 14.1 cm. This is why Coco is on us all the time! I too frequently miss adding a measuring device for size.

I assume that’s 14.1mm and not 14.1cm, lol.

I had the length in inches in the post but forgot to add mm, so I added it now. Used a calliper, it’s 15.04mm.

Also worth noting that the one on the FLMNH website is barely over a centimetre based on figure 3:

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/species/canis-dirus/

Edited by Meganeura

9 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

I assume that’s 14.1mm and not 14.1cm, lol.

I had the length in inches in the post but forgot to add mm, so I added it now. Used a calliper, it’s 15.04mm 

Daniel,

Here is a cropped photo of a fossil Dire Wolf skull,  right side from the NY Times. Always helps to have comparison teeth. @Harry Pristis has an excellent collection and may be able to help.

NYTimes_DireWolfskullz.thumb.jpg.2342643f5ba87b4021168e5f578c73eb.jpg

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/122751-an-easter-fossil-hunt/&tab=comments#comment-1341274

Back in April,  I found a lower right p4,  about 21 mm in crown length. The thicker root goes to the back of the jaw. Note the rippling in the back (toward the throat) edge on my tooth, I do not see it on your tooth or the lower p2. My crown length is 20-21 mm.

Use these as comparisons to access your tooth.

IMG_5230text.thumb.jpg.4f17cd90097f81ecd536c6b27be2a823.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

21 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Daniel,

Here is a cropped photo of a fossil Dire Wolf skull,  right side from the NY Times. Always helps to have comparison teeth. @Harry Pristis has an excellent collection and may be able to help.

NYTimes_DireWolfskullz.thumb.jpg.2342643f5ba87b4021168e5f578c73eb.jpg

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/122751-an-easter-fossil-hunt/&tab=comments#comment-1341274

Back in April,  I found a lower right p4,  about 21 mm in crown length. The thicker root goes to the back of the jaw. Note the rippling in the back (toward the throat) edge on my tooth, I do not see it on your tooth or the lower p2. My crown length is 20-21 mm.

Use these as comparisons to access your tooth.

IMG_5230text.thumb.jpg.4f17cd90097f81ecd536c6b27be2a823.jpg

So definitely a lower p2 then, which was my initial thought! My big problem was that on the FLMNH website there doesn’t appear to be any “ripple” on the upper P3, however that seems to be due to the photo quality… so I was a little confused. Thanks for the help Jack!

29 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Great find Daniel, keep them coming.

I’m gonna do a trip report for the first time in a while. Cumulative, for my last couple trips, but I’ve got some good stuff!

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

Completely overlooked the stated size!!!!!!!!! My mistake. Great find. 

Mike

No worries! And thank you! :Jumping: