It Found Me...

Oddball

While on a group trip (Kitsap M&G Soc.) to Coho, WA to hunt for fossil crabs and teredo wood, I lucked out in finding this mammoth tooth near the bottom of a mud slide. I thought it was a concretion sitting at the top of the slide. 15 of us combed the slide looking for more mammoth material but, the tooth was it.

post-3157-12725950834279_thumb.jpg

post-3157-1272595102944_thumb.jpg

When collecting with your dog, 'Beware The Steaming Coprolite'.

Interesting color. Has it been coated or is it a natural sheen? Nice specimen. cool.gif

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

It was coated with acetone-thinned epoxy. Most of the mammal material from the Coho area tends to peel and crack as it dries out. The exception being the marine mammal material found in concretions.

Wow, better than any I've found. Sort of looks like the Alaskan/Siberian material I've seen.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Very nice tooth and great story! :D

I'll be up in WA in Oct; I'm trying to find a few sites up there :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Just about the entire straits of Juan de Fuca is rich in Miocene fossils. Get with the Kitsap Mineral and Gem Society for the most current directions (logging trails, walking trails, etc.). The digging is great along the beaches in Port Angeles and Coho. The best area for concretion fossils and teredo wood is Merk's Bay. But, it's the hardest to get to unless you go by boat. I found walrus and porpoise skulls in concretion, a sea lion humerus, tons of crabs of a half dozen species, thorny oysters, frilled clams, and the list goes on and on. We've even found intact japanese glass net floats in the brush at the high water line.

If you can swing getting to Merk's Bay, the trip would definitely be worth it.

:blink: Wow! What a fossil and what a fossiling spot!

Great collection of fossils and stories, Oddball, thanks for sharing.

I want an It!

Tim

Nice tooth. It's amazing how just a little mud can mask the identitiy of a fossil like that. Reminds me of a site I was at where I actually stepped on a couple-to the benefit of my partner who was walking behind me.

Be true to the reality you create.

Just about the entire straits of Juan de Fuca is rich in Miocene fossils. Get with the Kitsap Mineral and Gem Society for the most current directions (logging trails, walking trails, etc.). The digging is great along the beaches in Port Angeles and Coho. The best area for concretion fossils and teredo wood is Merk's Bay. But, it's the hardest to get to unless you go by boat. I found walrus and porpoise skulls in concretion, a sea lion humerus, tons of crabs of a half dozen species, thorny oysters, frilled clams, and the list goes on and on. We've even found intact japanese glass net floats in the brush at the high water line.

If you can swing getting to Merk's Bay, the trip would definitely be worth it.

Many thanks, I think I will try to contact them :)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I was on the straights collecting day before yesterday. I picked up around 100 pounds of concretions and prepped this shrimp claw out today. I am leading a kitsap gem and mineral club field trip next month to that same locality.

callianopsis.jpg

Nice find. And, I'm completely jealous. I haven't been up there in nearly 2 decades. Coincidently, I have a Straits claw on my desk.

post-3157-12727730260658_thumb.jpg