Grallator footprint - or not?

FettSolo

• New Members

This track is supposedly a positive (raised) Grallator track from the Portland Formation in South Hadley, MA. Track size is 5.0” on a 7.0” 10.25” shale slab. Seller mentioned that the track has been dyed for contrast.

Thoughts? I am still a newbie in the fossil world, so I'd love to get others opinions as to whether this might be real (or not). I looked at some past threads about potential Grallator footprints, but I was still unsure.

Thanks in advance!

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Im afraid its not a footprint. There is no depth in this print. Infact it looks almost like some sort of substance has been added like oil to give an impression. these are my thoughts on it.  

• I Agree 1

It’s difficult to see perspective from this angle. The dying looks like a grallator track but we can’t determine for sure until we see from a different angle as to what’s actually there 

• I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Phos_01 said:

Im afraid its not a footprint. There is no depth in this print. In fact it looks almost like some sort of substance has been added like oil to give an impression. these are my thoughts on it.  

It is an overprint, which are much harder to distinguish.

OP said the seller stated it was dyed.

Without an image in low angle lighting to show relief, I would pass on this one. If it is a real print, it isn't a great one.

When dye needs to be used to highlight it, It isn't a great specimen to begin with.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@FettSolo

It has the appearance of an authentic track (infill). As you noted it is dyed/colored, a common practice. I would prefer an uncolored example; but that is a matter of taste. To my eye the matrix appears typical of often seen track-bearing material. To me, this type of fossil gains appeal by its presentation, a subjective assessment by the viewer of the object's aesthetic quality. That is, if you like it, you like it. However, since you report only limited experience, it might be prudent to view a number of this type of fossil before making a purchase. Good luck, have fun.  

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

As @Fossildude19 said, if you need dye to be able to visibly see it then it's not a good specimen to purchase even if it is genuine. Be patient, there are tons of high quality dinosaur footprints for sale, look around and see what interests you before purchasing from a reputable dealer or source.