Rusty (orange) highlights on amethyst specimen

digit

A friend of Tammy's has a chunk of amethyst crystals and was curious as to what the rusty orange highlights on the crystals might be caused by. I'm assuming it's some sort of iron oxide deposit leftover from when the amethyst crystals were created within the geode. I know that impurities of iron are responsible for turning the colorless quartz into a lovely purple amethyst. Has anybody else seen these rusty highlights in their amethyst specimens?

Cheers.

-Ken

'P2133128.jpg

P2133132.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Thanks Tony (and all)! Tammy has taken this piece back to her friend. She's always wondered about the rusty orange highlights on that piece of amethyst and Tammy can now spread a little knowledge. The reach that TFF has for educating and spreading knowledge is extensive. ;)

Got to do a little internet image searching and the Thunder Bay amethyst is some really gorgeous stuff! :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• 1 year later...

Good day,

I think it’s both iron oxide and hematite.  Are there red inclusions in the crystals or orange inclusions?  This is most likely from Canada, I don’t think it’s moonlight mine but it could be, it’s most likely from Ontario or Thunder Bay.  It could be goethite/cacoxenite as well, I’d have to look at a macro photo of the crystal inclusions and exterior to be sure.  It’s such a beautiful piece, a super sweet piece!

Regards,

Mike