Mask or box for manual prepping?

Jan Lester

I’ve been manually prepping some fossils I’ve found, nothing too exciting, brachiopods, bryozoans, crinoids stems, etc. I haven’t made a habit of wearing a mask, but I’m starting to doubt my lax habits. I’ve got a sinus headache that won’t quit. Of course there is dolomite dust all around my work area. I guess I’m wondering if it would be better just to make a smallish box with a clear lid and hand/glove holes in the sides. I’m toying with the idea of using my dremel, in which case I would absolutely use a box, but not sure I’m ready to do that. Feel free to let me know if I’ve already killed myself.

Thanks!

If you are using any kind of air-abrasion, you MUST have vacuum dust mitigation, and putting it all in a box is the only way to make that vacuum effective.  If your mask isnt 100% sealed on your face, you ARE doing serious harm to yourself breathing that dust.  STOP NOW. You haven't killed yourself yet, but the effects are cumulative so every time it happens, it makes it worse in the future for you.

The other huge benefit to prepping in a box is that you only have a box to occasionally clean and not the entire prep room.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

The fact that you mention dolomite implies that you are sandblasting... WITHOUT A BOX!!!!????? 

"Get thee to a nunnery sandblasting box and dust collector.  Why would thou be a breeder of sinners unhealthy lungs?"

Inhaling dust may cause discomfort in the chest, shortness of breath, and coughing. Prolonged inhalation may cause chronic health effects. This product contains crystalline silica. Prolonged or repeated inhalation of respirable crystalline silica liberated from this product can cause silicosis, and may cause cancer.

https://web.faa.illinois.edu/app/uploads/sites/6/2021/05/Dolomite.pdf

I just got drafted to be on a safety committee for AMMP... the professional preparator's outfit.  I tried to back out by claiming safety third, but please, be safer than this.  You just might become exhibit A at our first Zoom meeting.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

I am NOT sandblasting. I’m only working with dental tools and a sewing needle in a mechanical pencil. I know better than to create that much dust, but even the limited amount created by scratching and occasionally “puffing” my fossils has me worried. I know that dolomite doesn’t have to be dust…I’m just making it into dust.

I love the Shakespeare quote, though! Haha

• Enjoyed 1

If you are creating a bit of dust a mask would surely be a good idea. You can use a squeeze puffer like they use to clean lenses to clear the dust from the fossil as you scratch it off.  Since blowing will be a pain with a mask on. 

For hand prepping a glove box is maybe over the top? Regular cleaning of your work area to prevent build up of dust would be good too. 

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Jan Lester said:

I am NOT sandblasting. I’m only working with dental tools and a sewing needle in a mechanical pencil. I know better than to create that much dust, but even the limited amount created by scratching and occasionally “puffing” my fossils has me worried. I know that dolomite doesn’t have to be dust…I’m just making it into dust.

I love the Shakespeare quote, though! Haha

Ah, OK, when you said "dolomite powder" it seemed to be that it was coming from air abrasion.  OK, yes, even the small amounts of dust created by hand prepping CAN be harmful, but a mask should do plenty there.  I would still recommend a shop-vac type system with the hose in front of you to control even those small amounts of dust.  Infant nose-bulbs (aka snot suckers) work great as "puffers" to blow dust and chips off the working area, and if you have the shop-vac then it just goes right into that.  Keep your mask on though, safety 2nd (at least)

• I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

7 hours ago, Jan Lester said:

I’ve got a sinus headache that won’t quit.

Do you have a diagnosed sinusitis or is it self-diagnosed?

Franz Bernhard

9 hours ago, Jan Lester said:

I’ve got a sinus headache that won’t quit.

You should go to a doctor about that if you haven't already done so, especially if you're worried about it. There are many other reasons for these symptoms other than breathing dust, just to mention allergies for a start.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

9 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Do you have a diagnosed sinusitis or is it self-diagnosed?

Franz Bernhard

Both…:rolleyes: I have had lots of sinus infections, had to have surgery years ago. When your frontal sinuses hurt, there isn’t much else like it, except maybe a brain tumor…I’m going for sinusitis. I started antibiotics Monday, but my doc wasn’t aggressive with her choice of meds. Just trying to see if there’s another possible reason they could be so irritated. 

I appreciate your concern! I have had two Covid tests this week, too, both negative, and no fever, so probably not flu. 

Edited by Jan Lester
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Jan Lester said:

I have had lots of sinus infections, had to have surgery years ago.

Ok! Could it be the mask itself that is worsening the whole thing? Or are you used to wearing such masks? Masks itself can cause various kinds of trouble.

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

I think I just got a viral URI, and my sinuses got inflamed enough to stop draining effectively, which in turn caused bacteria to set up shop. I think, after reading everyone’s advice, I need to get an effective mask and look into using a shop-vac to suck up dust as I prep. And take my antibiotics and continue doing sinus rinses. If I ever start prepping with my Dremel or air, I will use a box! 

• 2 weeks later...

I've always worn a mask for the air scribe and for dremel-style prepping (I usually use a nail drill, a smaller diameter tool). I occasionally forgo eye protection for the dremel, but I have a nice photo of myself from last summer with a swollen bottom eyelid. One of those little pieces of rock entered and blocked a duct in my lower eyelid and caused me issues for nearly a month.

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos

1 hour ago, cngodles said:

I've always worn a mask for the air scribe and for dremel-style prepping (I usually use a nail drill, a smaller diameter tool). I occasionally forgo eye protection for the dremel, but I have a nice photo of myself from last summer with a swollen bottom eyelid. One of those little pieces of rock entered and blocked a duct in my lower eyelid and caused me issues for nearly a month.

and now you wear safety goggles, right?   I learned to wear them in a similar way.  

Edited by jpc