US east coast Cretaceous vertebrates from last fall

fossil_lover_2277

2 hours ago, Andúril Flame of the West said:

That's an amazing haul; always love seeing Mesozoic material from the East Coast! Those Deinosuchus teeth and osteoderms and the plesiosaur teeth are very impressive!  :envy:

Out of curiosity, since you specified that these were non-dinosaurian fossils that you have collected did you find any interesting dinosaur material? If you would be comfortable sharing, I would love to see pictures of some dinosaur material from the East Coast.

2 hours ago, rocket said:

very interesting cretaceous material, always love to see vertebrate-fossils from outside Europe.

Deinosuchus-remains are fantastic, never found some in Germany. Hope to get one some day. I know a guy who found some scutes and possible bones from highest campanian from Westfalia, but does not like to exchange :s_cry:

Are there articulated skeletons know from your site or "only" scutes and bones?

East coast US Cretaceous fossils are almost always disarticulated, and the majority of them are worn or badly broken up. Generally they have been reworked and are recovered from lag deposits.

The fossil you circled is a Hybodus shark cephalic clasper.

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Andúril Flame of the West said:

That's an amazing haul; always love seeing Mesozoic material from the East Coast! Those Deinosuchus teeth and osteoderms and the plesiosaur teeth are very impressive!  :envy:

Out of curiosity, since you specified that these were non-dinosaurian fossils that you have collected did you find any interesting dinosaur material? If you would be comfortable sharing, I would love to see pictures of some dinosaur material from the East Coast.

Yes I do have some dinosaur material from the east coast. One cf. Dryptosaurus tooth, 7 hadrosaur teeth, and a small vertebra fragment, likely hadrosaur.

I’ll try to upload a pic of the teeth later today, I don’t have the vert. Fragment with me at the moment, but it’s not real impressive anyways.

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, fossil_lover_2277 said:

The fossil you circled is a Hybodus shark cephalic clasper.

thanks all, helps perhaps. Friend of mine has a nearly similar piece from upper cretaceous of germany (Turonian). We often thought about it and have not been sure if it is a clasper or not

• Enjoyed 1

On 2/24/2023 at 5:45 AM, Troodon said:

FYI just came across this very recent publication that puts more clarity to the distribution of Deinosuchus species

peerj-09-11302-g006.thumb.jpg.bdd622523d34b75861e56159cf9212ba.jpg

First remains of the enormous alligatoroid Deinosuchus from the Upper Cretaceous Menefee Formation, New Mexico,  Mohler et al. 2021

Odd that they've used the term 'Black Creek formation". It's been a group since '89 or '90 with three formations. Perhaps someone has resurrected the Black Creek as a formation? I guess stranger things have happened.

• I found this Informative 1

18 minutes ago, Plax said:

Odd that they've used the term 'Black Creek formation". It's been a group since '89 or '90 with three formations. Perhaps someone has resurrected the Black Creek as a formation? I guess stranger things have happened.

The paper referenced Schwimmer. 2002. King of the Crocodylians, where it obtained that info.  I don't have that book.