Should I glue it?

Pnwmedic

I whacked apart a concrete on today and found a beautiful bivalve but it split quite a bit. My friend superglues his crab concretions back together to etch them out. What is the best technique with this precious?

C3DFC7F6-38A7-4049-9655-922AC3A7345C.jpeg

62A9A569-25E6-45CC-B5F8-C7A3A29254E8.jpeg

FB88768B-3C57-46CA-8351-2DE690B9F9B1.jpeg

Just getting my head around how these bits fit together are there 2 or 3 bits?

I can see how 2 bits fit together 

B3358C51-26A2-4D16-8035-7665900F6380.thumb.jpeg.542bb911e5d6209fa63646a99f310151.jpeg

A5AD0ECD-A171-4338-B8B8-0DA9DB0E6C31.thumb.jpeg.2e1900169baaba24829c374d6b36ab1c.jpeg

Match A up to A and B up to B.

First thing to think about: am I going to get a more complete specimen by gluing back together? It might not be worth it in this case as you don’t have the missing shell (circled) still on the piece in the second photo, if I’m reading the photos right. 

That’s what I look for when gluing crabs back together anyway. 

Edited by Doctor Mud

There should be shell in the blue hashed area. But it might have been lost when you split. This often happens and is why I try and split in an area where I can easily recover fragments and check the fit and completeness before I leave the beach if I split there. 

C4906AE0-264F-4101-9528-540AC8A82D6A.thumb.jpeg.663b8a71a4cd89ce7f82aa76141de3f5.jpeg

That looks more promising!

- now I’m just passing on what I learnt from the glue together maestro @RJB

Did I forget anything?

- To glue back together it’s really important to make sure all the surfaces are clean, so loose particles that can make for a poor fit. 

- something like a stiff artists paint brush. Sometimes there is pulverized rock smeared on the rock that will stop a good fit or oils etc. 

- I know some use a little acetone to get rid of this or any other things that will stop a good bond. Again an artist brush to clean the surface with acetone if needed

- your glue: I use starbond thick. The amount to use is something you learn as in the next step. Some might ooze out.

- check the fit before applying glue.

- apply glue and clamp to ensure a snug fit. 

- wait until the glue cures and prep it like it was never split :thumbsu:

• I found this Informative 2

14 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

That looks more promising!

- now I’m just passing on what I learnt from the glue together maestro @RJB

Did I forget anything?

- To glue back together it’s really important to make sure all the surfaces are clean, so loose particles that can make for a poor fit. 

- something like a stiff artists paint brush. Sometimes there is pulverized rock smeared on the rock that will stop a good fit or oils etc. 

- I know some use a little acetone to get rid of this or any other things that will stop a good bond. Again an artist brush to clean the surface with acetone if needed

- your glue: I use starbond thick. The amount to use is something you learn as in the next step. Some might ooze out.

- check the fit before applying glue.

- apply glue and clamp to ensure a snug fit. 

- wait until the glue cures and prep it like it was never split :thumbsu:

The rock it’s in is so hard, I’m not sure I’ll get through it without damaging the outer shell, any way I can release the small piece I found from its rock?

Interesting... Looks like an Acila sp.  Is this from the same formation as the famous crabs?

It's probably too risky to try freeing the piece of shell from the matrix... Probably better to clean as Dr Mud says, and apply glue to the surface that needs to be glued back together (not necessarily anywhere else, I would think, but go with whatever he says before what I say).

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Interesting... Looks like an Acila sp.  Is this from the same formation as the famous crabs?

It's probably too risky to try freeing the piece of shell from the matrix... Probably better to clean as Dr Mud says, and apply glue to the surface that needs to be glued back together (not necessarily anywhere else, I would think, but go with whatever he says before what I say).

No this is from the pysht formation on the coast of the strait of Juan de fuca. I am going back to the famous crab location next week!

6 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I was wondering about that option too - just gluing the shell. I guess it depends on how much matrix you are keeping. If you just want to glue back on the shell you could trim that piece down as much as you dare then just apply glue to the shell. 

This would mean less rock to prep off. 

23 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

I was wondering about that option too - just gluing the shell. I guess it depends on how much matrix you are keeping. If you just want to glue back on the shell you could trim that piece down as much as you dare then just apply glue to the shell. 

This would mean less rock to prep off. 

Yes, and maybe try to avoid applying glue on any of the already-exposed outer surfaces of the shell (if possible), if they are to be uncovered again later, otherwise that job would be more troublesome, would it not? If leaving that side in matrix, go ahead and apply glue all over the surfaces to be joined.

2 hours ago, Pnwmedic said:

No this is from the pysht formation on the coast of the strait of Juan de fuca. I am going back to the famous crab location next week!

Ah... Not all that far from me. I could conceivably go collect there myself, if I felt like driving and crossing the border (and the ferry). Wikipedia says that formation is Paleogene, which could be Eocene, or maybe Oligocene (less likely Paleocene). Anyone know?

Here is one of our members' trip report to that place last year:

18 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Ah... Not all that far from me. I could conceivably go collect there myself, if I felt like driving and crossing the border (and the ferry). Wikipedia says that formation is Paleogene, which could be Eocene, or maybe Oligocene (less likely Paleocene). Anyone know?

Here is one of our members' trip report to that place last year:

Back when it was still up, the Burke Paleontology Database labeled the Pysht as Oligocene in age. I think I remember reading somewhere that the lowest layers might stretch back to the late Eocene.

• I found this Informative 1

If you are unable to repair it don't sweat it, Acila clams are pretty common up there, I'm sure you'd be able to find more. I feel your pain though, I busted a nice one trying to get it out of the rock just the other day, they are very crumbly! 

Edited by Neanderthal Shaman

21 hours ago, Pnwmedic said:

. I am going back to the famous crab location next week!

Good luck! I hope you find some nice concs! Love to see a trip report. I always enjoy a good crab hunt story. 

20 hours ago, Pnwmedic said:

I’d love to go to Vancouver island!

Maybe we'll do an 'exchange student' type thing someday. ;)

On 2/22/2023 at 7:18 PM, Neanderthal Shaman said:

If you are unable to repair it don't sweat it, Acila clams are pretty common up there, I'm sure you'd be able to find more. I feel your pain though, I busted a nice one trying to get it out of the rock just the other day, they are very crumbly! 

That’s what I have decided, I’ll be taking a trip down to Newport soon enough

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 9:29 PM, Wrangellian said:

Maybe we'll do an 'exchange student' type thing someday. ;)

so I have 5 confirmed crabs now. Looking to head up to Vancouver island when the weather warms up. If you'd like I can bring you one to host me on an outing :)

21 hours ago, Pnwmedic said:

so I have 5 confirmed crabs now. Looking to head up to Vancouver island when the weather warms up. If you'd like I can bring you one to host me on an outing :)

OK, that's possible... Keep in touch.  I can't guarantee you'll find anything really great at any of the sites I know - it's always a crapshoot, so keep that in mind! I.e. I've never found a complete crab, only carapaces/claws. But there are other things.

Edited by Wrangellian

10 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

OK, that's possible... Keep in touch.  I can't guarantee you'll find anything really great at any of the sites I know - it's always a crapshoot, so keep that in mind! I.e. I've never found a complete crab, only carapaces/claws. But there are other things.

gotcha well id go for anything different....Im crawling with complete crabs, 

2 minutes ago, Pnwmedic said:

gotcha well id go for anything different....Im crawling with complete crabs, 

That's a good thing if you're referring to fossils!  :TongueOut:

(I know I'm going to get in trouble for that... If you want to rephrase that, I'll hide my reply!)