HunterLacrosse

guys, 

I recently browsed through some Carcharodontosaurus saharicus teeth online and found a situation that I didn't quite understand.

Their teeth are often described as like daggers, very thin and very sharp. and why can we still see some teeth marked as Carcharodontosaurus saharicus teeth, they are thicker, and they look a bit like tyrannosaurids from the anterior serration view.

Why are their teeth different in morphology? Does it depend on different tooth positions?

carch1.jpg

carch2.jpg

There are at least 2 different carcharodontosaurids in the Kem-Kem Beds, and teeth from different parts of the jaw have slightly different morphologies, so that could account for the different looking teeth.

• I Agree 2

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

11 minutes ago, Nanotyrannus35 said:

There are at least 2 different carcharodontosaurids in the Kem-Kem Beds, and teeth from different parts of the jaw have slightly different morphologies, so that could account for the different looking teeth.

Hi, NanoT.

thanks for your help, and do you have a top view of the Carcharodontosaurus saharicus dentary or maxilla? I want to try to learn the difference in the shape of the teeth that is from different tooth positions, such as the problem of thickness.

Thanks

Like Nanotyrannus35 indicated you are comparing lateral teeth with anterior ones.  They are all different since have a very heterodont dentition like other large theropods.  I'm not sure a dentary with teeth of a Carcharodontosaurid from the KK exists

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, HunterLacrosse said:

Their teeth are often described as like daggers, very thin and very sharp. and why can we still see some teeth marked as

Who describes their teeth like this?  Sounds like most theropods

21 hours ago, Troodon said:

Who describes their teeth like this?  Sounds like most theropods

for example, the tooth in these pictures I provided, it was described as a Thick Carcharodontosaurus saharicus teeth. location is Taouz, Kem Kem Basin, Morocco.

when i looked at the third picture, it does look thick. I'm not quite sure what caused this different in Carcharodontosaurus teeth shape or if he just marked it wrong?

14802-10.jpg

14802-11.jpg

14802-12.jpg

What we said its all about jaw position.  The teeth in a large theropod jaw are rarely similar and some dentary teeth get more oval in anterior positions.  Nothing unusual here.

• Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

What we said its all about jaw position.  The teeth in a large theropod jaw are rarely similar and some dentary teeth get more oval in anterior positions. 

thanks Troodon, 

I have tried to find some teeth of different dinosaurs, such as mosasaurs, carcharodontosaurs, other tyrannosaurid, dromaeosaurids, why only the teeth of tyrannosaurus rex are extra expensive? Is it because they are rarer?

9 minutes ago, HunterLacrosse said:

thanks Troodon, 

I have tried to find some teeth of different dinosaurs, such as mosasaurs, carcharodontosaurs, other tyrannosaurid, dromaeosaurids, why only the teeth of tyrannosaurus rex are extra expensive? Is it because they are rarer?

No, it's just that Tyrannosaurus rex is the one dinosaur people know and it's popular and people can rack up the price insanely and people will still buy them.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

2 minutes ago, HunterLacrosse said:

why only the teeth of tyrannosaurus rex are extra expensive? Is it because they are rarer?

The Tyrannosaurus Rex is the most known Dinosaur to all people, everyone in the world knows about its existence, even a little child, if you talk about Dinosaurs this is the one. This a big factor in the price, and also that it was one the biggest fearsome meat eating Dinosaurs . Perhaps why its so well known its iconic. And another factor is that 'Rex' lived in the United states. Much research and knowledge is present about it, I would not say its more rare. 

Experienced collectors would prefer other teeth above average Rex teeth. However there is not much that tops a fully rooted massive Tyrannosaurus Rex tooth. The condition of a fossil is very important. For example a 2inch perfectly serrated tooth is in my opinion nicer to have then a 3.5 broken tooth with less preservation, but the price will be similar. 

But for example a complete rooted Carcharodontosaurus tooth in mint condition is also a real collector's item. And they are very expensive. So its definitely not so that only the Tyrannosaurus Rex tooth are the only expensive ones out there. 

Size matters also in the case of Teeth and claws, add quality to this and you will pay allot. 

Hope this helps;

Cheers

• Thank You 1

20 minutes ago, HunterLacrosse said:

thanks Troodon, 

First mosasaurs are not dinosaurs they are marine reptiles

T rex teeth are not rare, you see them sold everywhere.  The movies/tv has created an aurora around it and every child wants to see one in the movies, museums etc.  It's the king of dinosaurs.  Auction sales have gotten a huge amount of money for skeletons and isolated teeth which has translated to online/dealers raising the price of teeth.  Unfortunately collectors are paying these prices so until that ends prices will continue to go up.  It's all artificial at the expense of the collectors who cannot afford these prices

4 minutes ago, Troodon said:

T rex teeth are not rare, you see them sold everywhere.  The movies/tv has created an aurora around it and every child was to see one in the movies, museums etc.  It's the king of dinosaurs.  Auction sales have gotten a huge amount of money for skeletons and isolated teeth which has translated to online/dealers raising the price of teeth.  Unfortunately collectors are paying these prices so until that ends prices will continue to go up.  It's all artificial

Thanks your guys' help, I would love to have a T rex tooth, but their price is too expensive. I know that Spinosaurus was also a very famous and massive dinosaur, so why were their teeth cheaper? (I don't really understand how these teeth are priced, because they seem to be hard to find a pattern).

1 minute ago, HunterLacrosse said:

Thanks your guys' help, I would love to have a T rex tooth, but their price is too expensive. I know that Spinosaurus was also a very famous and massive dinosaur, so why were their teeth cheaper? (I don't really understand how these teeth are priced, because they seem to be hard to find a pattern).

The market is flooded with Spino teeth.  I'll bet you there were thousands available at the Tucson Fossil Show last month.  It's not only popularity it's auction prices.  When you see T rex teeth sell for 50,  60 k in auctions and a skeleton for +26million there are incentives for retail dealers to mark prices up.  Also blame the collectors who are supporting those valuations by buying

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

thousands

There are almost a thousand Spinosaurus teeth flooding the market? Did T rex also have that many teeth for sale on the market?

thanks

2 minutes ago, HunterLacrosse said:

There are almost a thousand Spinosaurus teeth flooding the market? Did T rex also have that many teeth for sale on the market?

thanks

At the show, only probably a couple dozen if I had to guess, maybe less.  I don't see all the teeth everyone has.. it's not like Spinosaurid teeth were they have boxes of them laying out.  Moroccan material is very available

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

T rex teeth are not rare, you see them sold everywhere.  The movies/tv has created an aurora around it and every child wants to see one in the movies, museums etc.  It's the king of dinosaurs.  Auction sales have gotten a huge amount of money for skeletons and isolated teeth which has translated to online/dealers raising the price of teeth.  Unfortunately collectors are paying these prices so until that ends prices will continue to go up.  It's all artificial at the expense of the collectors who cannot afford these prices

Amen to that! As much as I'd like to buy a nice one I just can't justify it to myself. Could redo all the electrical in my house and get new doors for the same price (which I went and did).

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

*Frank*

• 9 months later...
On 3/2/2023 at 3:59 PM, Phos_01 said:

Experienced collectors would prefer other teeth above average Rex teeth.

@Phos_01 Why might this be?

E.g. a top quality Carch might be preferable to an average rex; but what about e.g. top quality rex vs top quality Carch.?

I guess that experienced collectors might prefer a truly rare tooth over an average rex?

Edited by GTS

It all depends if the collector is more interested in dinosaurs or sharks !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

22 hours ago, GTS said:

Why might this be?

22 hours ago, GTS said:

E.g. a top quality Carch might be preferable to an average rex; but what about e.g. top quality rex vs top quality Carch.?

Well I pretty much explained everything in the topic, Top Rex beats all, sadly its only for the happy few to obtain one now.

There are some very nice other rare teeth out there, what in some cases like the Carch can get you allot beter value. But there is close to nothing that tops a complete perfect Rex tooth. In the case of Dinosaur collectors. Perhaps those that are not legal to own anymore, like a Tarbosaurus, etc, but the point stays the same