How To Ask For Permission?

West4me

There is a quarry near me and I know that it is active. I was wondering how I should handle approaching the company and asking for permission to go through tailings and such. Any suggestions?

"You have to listen. It is under the rocks."

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Man that's a ton of info in those two threads...I would add one suggestion: When calling the quarry you might see if they have a geologist on staff. I had better luck in upstate NY by talking first with the company's geologist then using that contact as leverage. Here in TX it seems quarry managers are much more experienced with the geology than back east where they know more about the liability. And for private land the six pack or bottle of wine have worked as well as giving them some nice specimens from the site. And having my young daughter with me smoothed things over at least twice.

Man that's a ton of info in those two threads...I would add one suggestion: When calling the quarry you might see if they have a geologist on staff. I had better luck in upstate NY by talking first with the company's geologist then using that contact as leverage. Here in TX it seems quarry managers are much more experienced with the geology than back east where they know more about the liability. And for private land the six pack or bottle of wine have worked as well as giving them some nice specimens from the site. And having my young daughter with me smoothed things over at least twice.

Too bad my daughter (8) refuses to go with me anymore :)

"You have to listen. It is under the rocks."

I'll reiterate....rattle off the names of the quarries you've collected. If they are in the same state, the quarry of interest will know of them, and this builds credibility for you as someone who follows the rules and doesn't get injured - basically just responsible conduct. If you haven't been to a quarry yet, let them know you have a hard hat, protective eyewear, steel toed boots and/or whatever else they require. Tell them you'll stay away from the quarry walls and they'll be more comfortable with you.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I have never been in a quarry to collect.I thought the point of collecting in one was because you have direct access to bedrock in the walls.I understand about falling rocks but if that is not safe what do you do?Break into the floor,look for odd loose stuff?The rock piles are already crushed and ready to sell are they worth it or would everything be incomplete broken fossils & minerals(crystals)?I am not a member of a club right now but in Ohio I will never be in a quarry unless I join one is my guess.Permission for one person alone is not cool I bet.Thank You......Steve

Steve & West4me.....There is usually piles of material ready for crushing to search through and the quarry walls should be left well alone to avoid injuring yourself and you should respect the health & safety requirements imposed on you by the company.... remember... your actions will not only affect your subsequent chances of collecting there but everyone else who seeks permission as well in the future.....from personal experience, other collectors openly selling fossils from a working exposure can also get their back up and even have a knock on effect at subsequent exposures where all fossil collectors are percieved to be merely financially driven.... everyone including digger drivers and quarry owners use the internet... ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I have never been in a quarry to collect.I thought the point of collecting in one was because you have direct access to bedrock in the walls.I understand about falling rocks but if that is not safe what do you do?Break into the floor,look for odd loose stuff?The rock piles are already crushed and ready to sell are they worth it or would everything be incomplete broken fossils & minerals(crystals)?...

Sometimes the stuff with fossils is what the operation is NOT mining. In the case of limestone they want the purest material. So the layers with shale, chert, etc. get set aside. In addition the material sometimes needs to weather before the fossils can easily be collected. So quarries with good spoil piles can be very productive. The stuff is also often moved away from the active quarry and thus safer for collectors. Now if you were a geologist or paleontologist looking at detailed stratigraphy, having access to the walls might be important. But those researchers will more likely work with the quarry's geologist to get that information.