Thanks For The Memories Texas!

FossilForKids

After 10 days in the great state of Texas I have finally moved on. I finished my time in Texas with a great hunt with Mike D ansd Silver Phoenix. We found some great stuff at WHiskey Bridge including one hard headed and large snake :o I found a couple of otstanding gastropods, a dorsal spine, a perfect ray tooth and several shark teeth. We them went to Mike's secret petried would spot. We came across a huge petrified log at least 5 feet in length and weing over a ton.....I decided to leave it B) Chas and Mike are great guys and collectors and after some BBQ brisket we parted ways. I will always have fond memories of Texas, it's fossils, and the great forum people I met (Roz, Lance, Chas, Mike D and of course Dan! The picture I've posted here is a nice sampling of what I've found over the past 10 days.

Next it's on to Florida!

FFK

post-1292-12735455671464_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

All good finds in anyone's book.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Congrats on a great trip - wish I could have made it out today with you, Mike and Chase, but I'm still recovering from hunting wood in south Texas!

MikeD should be posting pics soon.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Sweet nite B)

Have fun in FL and bring a kazoo for the gators ;)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Indeed, all great finds!!! And priceless memories, I'm sure!biggrin.gifwub.gifsmile.gif

I wish you continued success and safe travelling onward to the Sunshine State! cool.gif

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm sorry I missed you folks at Whiskey Bridge. I was crossing the Brazos that morning on my way to Houston and was thinking it was going to be a good day to hunt fossils. But I had to earn some bread instead... Glad you enjoyed the collecting here. You certainly hit a pretty good variety of locals.

Sounds like a good trip. Are you still going to stop in Ms or Al to hunt?

No, I'll be blowing through the bottom tips of those states. I just blew through LA and am sitting in a nice cool Miss welcome center that has WIFI! I can us the time off of fossiling, canoeing/bank climbing to recover :hot:

But I'll be extremely ready to dive Florida! :jig:

FFK

No, I'll be blowing through the bottom tips of those states. I just blew through LA and am sitting in a nice cool Miss welcome center that has WIFI! I can us the time off of fossiling, canoeing/bank climbing to recover :hot:

But I'll be extremely ready to dive Florida! :jig:

FFK

Where are you headed after Florida? Are you heading up the East Coast?

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Where are you headed after Florida? Are you heading up the East Coast?

Marco Sr.

Hey Marco!

Yeah I'll be in the MD area aroundthe 20th through the 22nd. I have a few people I want to go hunting with up there and it would be great to see you and the boys again!

John

John, it was good to meet you. I had a great time. I'm glad that Chase and I were able to show you around. Turns out John and I grew up in the same area so we traded young and dumb stories before Chase got there. :P And thanks again for the cool teeth!

John did leave with some great fossils. Two of the biggest gastropods I have seen of their type, an awesome ray tooth in matrix and a large dorsal spine.

I forgot my camera when we went up the creek with the giant log, but I did find a nice piece of petrified palm wood there. I will have to go back for a picture of that log. I've heard stories, but that is the biggest one that I have come across in the field in that area.

Here are a few pics including one idiot snake.

post-534-12736393428636_thumb.jpgpost-534-12736393475991_thumb.jpgpost-534-12736393349763_thumb.jpg

post-534-12736393378263_thumb.jpgpost-534-1273639331777_thumb.jpg

I'm glad you had a great time here and thanks again for the teeth! I just wish I would have realized earlier that my final was the next day so I could have gotten there a little earlier...I always get the days mixed up!

Nice horse tooth- I lived ten minutes from whiskey bridge for 25 years and never heard it called by that name. It is a very nice fossil spot. The name must come from the days when the county on the other side of the Brazos river was dry and the Aggies from Texas A&M College (now University) had to cross the bridge to get liquor. If the river is very low you could get 4 different hunts there with a little permission:

1. Quaternary fossils on bars in the river

2. Eocene fossils in the bluff

3. Indian artifacts on top of the bluff (killer site)

4. Coin spills where the old liquor stores peddled their wares

Very cool finds. I've never been to Whiskey Bridge!

I can give you the tour one of these days.

Me and Dad (and my sister)have been there once. I didn't know there was more stuff! We heard that there was squid beaks, shark teeth, and inverts. It's a very nice hunting spot. Dad and I are both aggies (Texas ATM) so we didn't mind making the trip.

“There are no easy answers' but there are simple answers. We must have the courage to do what we know is morally right.”

-Ronald Reagan

• 1 year later...

After 10 days in the great state of Texas I have finally moved on. I finished my time in Texas with a great hunt with Mike D ansd Silver Phoenix. We found some great stuff at WHiskey Bridge including one hard headed and large snake ohmy.gif I found a couple of otstanding gastropods, a dorsal spine, a perfect ray tooth and several shark teeth. We them went to Mike's secret petried would spot. We came across a huge petrified log at least 5 feet in length and weing over a ton.....I decided to leave it cool.gif Chas and Mike are great guys and collectors and after some BBQ brisket we parted ways. I will always have fond memories of Texas, it's fossils, and the great forum people I met (Roz, Lance, Chas, Mike D and of course Dan! The picture I've posted here is a nice sampling of what I've found over the past 10 days.

Next it's on to Florida!

FFK

Great finds! I LOVE that ammonite! :)

Great finds! I LOVE that ammonite! :)

Indeed. The suture pattern is amazing.

Context is critical.

Nice specimens there. Looks like you guys had fun. I would have been doing the dance to get away from that snake...ugh.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Florida guys just move those snakes out of the way to see better!!!! :P

Curious....you going to Venice to dive?

A good day hunting is, well..... a GOOD DAY.

Curious....you going to Venice to dive?

I don't think he did Venice...(this topic is from May, 2010).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If a bunch of folks who never had the chance to see it get to see it now, that's a good thing!

I just hate to see people waiting for an answer that never comes... :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!