I Am In Egypt Can Any One Tell Me A Good Place For Hunting

Omar M Hedaya

4 members have voted

1. 1. how to find a good place?

• go wonder around and search
    • other ways
  2. 2. Does any one have a map for egypt ?

• yes
    • no
  3. 3. Do u know el mokatam mountains ,are they a good place ?

• if yes is it a good place
    • if yes is it a bad place
    • no

Hi Omar,

It seems like most of the discussion of fossils on this forum for North Africa is with the phosphate mines / Atlas mountains in Morocco. However, as I recall the pyramids were build out of limestone and most of the valley along the Nile is limestone. I'm sure there are good places.

I see that there was an inland sea in Egypt during the upper Cretaceous (much like Texas). Therefore I give some generic advice that may or may not be helpful. Some of the best layers will be sediments deposited when the ocean levels were dropping. Look for sandstone and brown clay layers that are rich with phosphate pebbles, crushed (or whole) shells, or other common fossils. There might be gravel bars in rivers that are rich in fossils.

You should review the laws in Egypt for fossil collecting. I imagine that laws are very firm about collecting antiquities. I am not sure if this extends to fossils?

Good luck!

Tony

Edited by Tony Eaton

Dinosaurs have been found in the around Bahariya Oasis in Sahara, that's about all I know about fossils in Egypt.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your useful information, where can i find fossil maps for places like egypt ? If not do i go away from sea areas right?

Omar

Don't really know anything about Egypt or its fossils, but back in the 70's I purchased this fish which the dealer claimed came from there.

post-1313-12740234969838_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

...as I recall the pyramids were build out of limestone...

BUT! Chipping a shell or fish out of one of the pyramids would be a bad idea :P:D

• I found this Informative 1

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Hi Omar, welcome to the forum, from England.

I just googled 'egyptian fossils' and Fayoum looks very interesting.

Googling 'mokatam mountains fossils' helps too. Good luck.

Edited by Bill

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

I`ve been once in Egypt, and I love your country!

I think El Fayoum place is a fantastic place to search; but be aware of your national laws! I think vertebrate fossils are put under the "antique" artifact law, and your country is really hard at this point!

Other places to search for, if you are a begginer, is the Red Sea coastline. The sea level has uprised during Caenozoic and Pleistocene and many old coasts have left a large amount of shells, echies, and sometimes whales in yellow sandstone!

Here you`ve got a geologic map:

post-62-12740402693758_thumb.gif

Thanks alot for your kind message, u really helped me :D and i was really pleased after your message ,and thanks for the map

OmarHedaya

Thanks alot for your kind message, u really helped me :D and i was really pleased after your message ,and thanks for the map

OmarHedaya

Omar,

Dont disapear on us now we would love to see some fossils from Egypt!. If you can remember to show us some pictures when you find some stuff.

:D

Jason

I`ve been once in Egypt, and I love your country!

I think El Fayoum place is a fantastic place to search; but be aware of your national laws! I think vertebrate fossils are put under the "antique" artifact law, and your country is really hard at this point!

Other places to search for, if you are a begginer, is the Red Sea coastline. The sea level has uprised during Caenozoic and Pleistocene and many old coasts have left a large amount of shells, echies, and sometimes whales in yellow sandstone!

Here you`ve got a geologic map:

post-62-12740402693758_thumb.gif

I second the advice to be very careful to check the laws regarding fossils in Egypt. It's my understanding that it is absolutely forbidden to export fossils from Egypt and even collecting them is highly regulated. Be very, very careful to follow the law.

John

“When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.” - Jack Handy

Here are some fossils recently found in northern Egypt :D ,i just sent an email to the gov. to ask them about the laws and rules .Inaddition, i asked them if collecting them is allowed or not ...............i expect a reply after 2 weeks or more :D I have more images if u want????????

Thanks everyone

OmarHedaya

post-3259-12740847057374_thumb.jpg

post-3259-12740853404712_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omar M Hedaya

Hi Omar

Egypt is a big country with diverse geology, and you can find there from cretaceous dinosaurs to miocene petrified forests, from tertiary whales to carboniferous plants, and many many more...So there is plenty of place for you to pursue your hobby there:)

I been recently in Sinai peninsula, at the shore of the Aquaba gulf, and I found some fantastic plesitocene elevated reefs around Dahab, with a lot of marine fossils in them - corals, molluscs, crabs, echinoderms etc. etc.

See here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paleobear/4449546157/in/set-72157621897245659/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paleobear/4466627197/in/set-72157621897245659/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paleobear/4448660668/in/set-72157621897245659/

And...in the desert of Sinai, near the white canion, at the Wadi Hagag a lot of cretaceous fossils can be found

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paleobear/4465705052/in/set-72157621897245659/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paleobear/4465705060/in/set-72157621897245659/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paleobear/4465705064/in/set-72157621897245659/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paleobear/4465705072/in/set-72157621897245659/

This is only what I found, the Sinai peninsula is much richer and diverse

good luck !

k

I think Hurgada surroundings are a good place to hunt invertebrates from late Caenozoic and Pleistocene, but again, I`ve heard that it is a protected area, sooooo, try to look out if collecting fossils is permitted.

If not, hunt with your camera! ;):D

I think it depends about the origin of the fossils - protected geological reserves for example, or its scientific value. What i have seen to be realy forbidden in Egypt, from obvious reasons I would say, is to take living corals out of the country.

Small fossils like shells or urchins, or nice minerals could be found even for sale by the locals in legal conditions

k

Hi all,

Now it seems that egypt isnt a bad place for palentology after all :D and i am still wondering if i can still find fossils any where not only near sedimentry rocks ?

OmarHedaya

Hi all,

Now it seems that egypt isnt a bad place for palentology after all :D and i am still wondering if i can still find fossils any where not only near sedimentry rocks ?

OmarHedaya

Most fossils can ONLY be found in sedimentary rocks; FEW (mostly pleistocene stuff) could be found on volcanic ash as hollow imprints, and NONE can be found in high metamorphic stones, such as granite or gneiss.

That`s why we, fossil hunters look only for sedimentary rocks. Even then, some of them, have a complete abscence of fossils.

For instance, some types of sandstone

post-62-12741818003566_thumb.jpg

Your inquiry piqued my interest, so I did a little googling – you will find lots of information that way. I’ve only been to Egypt once and saw the usual sites around Giza. However, I remembered seeing this Nat Geo video recently re: fossils found in countertops – it’s quite good:

Video -- Fossil Found in Kitchen Counter -- National Geographic

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/news/history-archaeology-news/egypt-fossils-wcvin.html

There’s also lots of other good information on efforts being made to preserve sites – looks like you’re in a terrific spot to see lots of fossils if not necessarily collect them. In the US, I always advise folks to check out local fossil clubs, universities and museums to learn more and join in collecting trips. See if any of those resources are of any use to you.

PaleoParks: Our paleontological heritage protected and conserved in the field worldwide

UNESCO's World Heritage program (URL: http://whc.unesco.org/), currently including 890 properties with cultural or natural heritage values, has recognized many paleontologically valuable sites … where research and public viewings continue at an early human site, Wadi al Hitan (Whale Valley) in Egypt where numbers of Eocene whales ….

http://paleopolis.rediris.es/cg/CG2009_BOOK_03/CG2009_BOOK_03_Chapter01.html

Faiyumi Sites to be placed on Tourist Map

As well as having 212 archaeological sites in the Faiyum Depression and another 29 on its boarders dating from the Qarunian (7200 BP-6200 BP to the Late Antique Period (AD 306 – AD 640) the Faiyum area is rich in palaeontological deposits. Many fossils have been found in the area north of Lake Qarun dating to the Eocene, Oligocene and Pliocene epochs. The environment of the periods that created these fossils was similar to modern day Uganda: subtropical and tropical forest with plenty of trees, vines, and mangroves. Within the forests were freshwater swamps and rivers and the area had plenty of rainfall. By the beginning of the Oligocene, 37 million years ago, the sea that had covered much of Egypt had receded northward to the Faiyum – Siwa line, creating a coastal plain along the shore of the Tethys Sea. The delta of one of the Gilf Rivers lay in what is now the Faiyum Depression, emptying out into the Tethys Sea. The deposition of a variety of reptilian and mammalian fossils began in the Mid-Eocene, over 40 million years ago. There are four major geological formations that contain these ancient fossils: the Upper Eocene Birket Qarun Formation (40 million years ago); the Lower Oligocene Gebel Qatrani Formation (37.28 million years ago); Mid-Eocene Qasr el-Sagha Formation (45 million years ago); and the Lower Pliocene Fluvio-Marine Formation (45-25 million years ago). The strata in these various formations represent some of the richest fossil deposits in the whole of Egypt, and there discovery has affected research worldwide.

Fossil hunting in the Faiyum has a history of over 150 years, with one of the earliest palaeontologists being Georg Schweinfurth, who discovered the ancient whale Zeuglodon osiris in 1879. At the beginning of the 20th century Hugh Beadnell and Charles Andrews collected thousands of fossils, including Palaeomastodon, which is the oldest known elephant. The first American palaeontologists to work in the Faiyum were Walter Granger and George Olsen who collected 27 crates of fossils, starting in 1907. This association of American palaeontologists with the Faiyum has remained strong, with probably the most famous being Elwyn Simons who from 1961 to 1986 mounted 17 expeditions, dividing the tens of thousands of fossils he collected between the Cairo Geological Museum and Yale Peabody and Duke University in the USA.

http://www.e-c-h-o.org/News/Tourism.htm

:) Thank everyone for your help,links and image .Currently, i am in kuwait i am going on a practice hike expedition in the kuwaity desert and i hope i can find any thing:D and i want to ask is the content of this video relevant? My link

thnx everyone

OmarHedaya

every time I here the words fossil and egypt I think about a spinosaurus but besides that I dont know much about fossils in egypt but like the others have said google knows all

many find that collecting dead animals would be a weird hobby.but I find to be down right cool!