Need help with authenticity

I found this trilobite for sale and wanted some opinions regarding the authenticity. It looks suspicious to me but I am fairly new and need some help. If it is real what spices is it?

IMG_20230306_155925.jpg

Edited by Savvas

Looks real, the appearance of the matrix, the crack running through the bug, parts of the shell flaking off all point to it being real, fake bugs usually don't have these kinds of imperfections. The preparation is pretty rough though, seems it wasn't done particularly carefully.

@piranhamay be able to help with ID

• I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Misha said:

Looks real, the appearance of the matrix, the crack running through the bug, parts of the shell flaking off all point to it being real, fake bugs usually don't have these kinds of imperfections. The preparation is pretty rough though, seems it wasn't done particularly carefully.

@piranhamay be able to help with ID

Thank you for your answer. I have red that the crack is necessary for a trilobite to be original, but can a trilobite be real without that crack? I also red that that a lot of lines on matrix made by tools also is an indication of a fake one, is that true too?

12 minutes ago, Savvas said:

Thank you for your answer. I have red that the crack is necessary for a trilobite to be original, but can a trilobite be real without that crack? I also red that that a lot of lines on matrix made by tools also is an indication of a fake one, is that true too?

Not always. There are some Devonian Moroccan trilobites that may be discovered during the preparation process as opposed to discovery in the field (although this is not common). In terms of scribe marks, it can be suspicious when they spider in many different directions, which may suggest trying to cover up for something (such as emplacement of a resin-based fake in the hollow of another rock). At other times, the scribe marks going in different directions is simply an aesthetic "style" in matrix landscaping (not one I particularly like, but it may prove effective in a fast prep scenario to show some kind of consistency of the matrix to obscure uglier scribe marks in preparation). 

As for whether trilobites in general can be found without a discovery crack, the answer is emphatically yes. There are many locations around the world where trilobites are found where the split happens along a bedding plane, and it is contingent upon the type of rock (shale, limestone), density, or if it is fissile. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

7 minutes ago, Kane said:

Not always. There are some Devonian Moroccan trilobites that may be discovered during the preparation process as opposed to discovery in the field (although this is not common). In terms of scribe marks, it can be suspicious when they spider in many different directions, which may suggest trying to cover up for something (such as emplacement of a resin-based fake in the hollow of another rock). At other times, the scribe marks going in different directions is simply an aesthetic "style" in matrix landscaping (not one I particularly like, but it may prove effective in a fast prep scenario to show some kind of consistency of the matrix to obscure uglier scribe marks in preparation). 

As for whether trilobites in general can be found without a discovery crack, the answer is emphatically yes. There are many locations around the world where trilobites are found where the split happens along a bedding plane, and it is contingent upon the type of rock (shale, limestone), density, or if it is fissile. 

Thank you so much for your answer! Is there some good easy ways to determine if a trilobite is fake or real? I have red some articles and got me some nightmares as a new collector and now I feel a bit insecure buying.

3 minutes ago, Savvas said:

Thank you so much for your answer! Is there some good easy ways to determine if a trilobite is fake or real? I have red some articles and got me some nightmares as a new collector and now I feel a bit insecure buying.

Well, there is always posting images of what you hope to buy here on the forum to get our opinion first, which might be helpful! :) 

I think it comes with a bit of experience and using a very close eye to look for signs of alteration or outright fakery. Bubbles from resin casting is a big one, and then there are those "too good to be true" trilobites that are sold complete where only a handful of the species have ever been found. Of course, common trilobites are almost never faked, so there is some better security in buying those. That said, if you encounter a piece that has numerous specimens arranged in a very artful way, that might be a red flag. 

I would also always read the descriptions carefully. A more honest description will state if any restorations have been done. Restoration itself is fine to replace parts that may have been lost in the discovery or preparation process, but just so long as it is honestly stated. In the cases of the very spiny trilobites, it is acceptable if the spines were broken off to be prepared separately and reattached once the main body is complete (but it should be stated). 

If buying a trilobite in person, having a small black light can be helpful to show any restorations and compositions. If purchasing a very expensive trilobite, ask to see preparation photos. If the person is unwilling or unable to produce those, I would consider it too risky for me to pay for. Higher end trilobites require a lot more details about the provenance and preparation process than a common phacopid that are found in the tens of thousands. 

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

Well, there is always posting images of what you hope to buy here on the forum to get our opinion first, which might be helpful! :) 

I think it comes with a bit of experience and using a very close eye to look for signs of alteration or outright fakery. Bubbles from resin casting is a big one, and then there are those "too good to be true" trilobites that are sold complete where only a handful of the species have ever been found. Of course, common trilobites are almost never faked, so there is some better security in buying those. That said, if you encounter a piece that has numerous specimens arranged in a very artful way, that might be a red flag. 

I would also always read the descriptions carefully. A more honest description will state if any restorations have been done. Restoration itself is fine to replace parts that may have been lost in the discovery or preparation process, but just so long as it is honestly stated. In the cases of the very spiny trilobites, it is acceptable if the spines were broken off to be prepared separately and reattached once the main body is complete (but it should be stated). 

If buying a trilobite in person, having a small black light can be helpful to show any restorations and compositions. If purchasing a very expensive trilobite, ask to see preparation photos. If the person is unwilling or unable to produce those, I would consider it too risky for me to pay for. Higher end trilobites require a lot more details about the provenance and preparation process than a common phacopid that are found in the tens of thousands. 

Thank you so much for your answers. What is the price when regarding heigh end trilobites, that photos should be necessary? 

Just now, Savvas said:

Thank you so much for your answers. What is the price when regarding heigh end trilobites, that photos should be necessary? 

We can't discuss prices here, but it would be safe to assume if it is a choice between paying the rent this month or buying the trilobite, it likely is expensive. :D The important thing is if you find it to be expensive, inquire about more photos if not enough are supplied. A good seller will comply with a reasonable customer request if they want to make the sale. 

One other thing is to ignore the superlatives like "museum grade" or "super duper rare!" as those are just designed to market the specimen, and really do not mean very much. If you will be buying a very expensive trilobite, it pays to do the homework and obtain all the information you can, even if it means you will have to pass on the opportunity. Let the perfect trilobite come to you as opposed to chasing after ones that may not be great or where there are too many blanks in the information about it. 

• I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

We can't discuss prices here, but it would be safe to assume if it is a choice between paying the rent this month or buying the trilobite, it likely is expensive. :D The important thing is if you find it to be expensive, inquire about more photos if not enough are supplied. A good seller will comply with a reasonable customer request if they want to make the sale. 

One other thing is to ignore the superlatives like "museum grade" or "super duper rare!" as those are just designed to market the specimen, and really do not mean very much. If you will be buying a very expensive trilobite, it pays to do the homework and obtain all the information you can, even if it means you will have to pass on the opportunity. Let the perfect trilobite come to you as opposed to chasing after ones that may not be great or where there are too many blanks in the information about it. 

You are great! Thank you so much for all the nice information. I really appreciate it.

• Thank You 1

Until you become better at identifying the fakes, post photos of what you want to buy on this forum. We're happy to help. Also, remember that anything that looks MUCH better than others at the same price is probably fake.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

7 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Until you become better at identifying the fakes, post photos of what you want to buy on this forum. We're happy to help. Also, remember that anything that looks MUCH better than others at the same price is probably fake.

Thank you for your answer. You mean about the more expensive one's being much better looking? Because the most common that I see for sale everywhere look all quite beautifully preserved and are all in the same price range.

22 hours ago, Savvas said:

Thank you for your answer. You mean about the more expensive one's being much better looking? Because the most common that I see for sale everywhere look all quite beautifully preserved and are all in the same price range.

The ones that show more detail and are complete, or nearly complete, will command higher prices. That's why many are composited and embellished with paint to appear more complete, and a person who is not familiar with the type of preservation from the area of the fossil's origin may be tricked into paying a much higher price than the fossil is worth. It's best just to check with the members of this forum for their opinions rather than take a chance and waste money on a fake or low-quality specimen that has been made to look better than it is.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

7 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

The ones that show more detail and are complete, or nearly complete, will command higher prices. That's why many are composited and embellished with paint to appear more complete, and a person who is not familiar with the type of preservation from the area of the fossil's origin may be tricked into paying a much higher price than the fossil is worth. It's best just to check with the members of this forum for their opinions rather than take a chance and waste money on a fake or low-quality specimen that has been made to look better than it is.

Thank you for your clarification! I will keep everything in mind.