Deltadromeus an Ornithomimosaur?

Troodon

Never surprised at what may pop up in the Kem Kem, another twist, we really do know so little.   All those collectors that think they have big teeth from Deltadromeus may have to change their thinking.  Nothing here is set in stone, we still need a skull to fully describe this dinosaur. 

Christophe Hendrickx posted this:

"According to this abstract, Deltadromeus would no longer be a noasaurid ceratosaur or a neovenaptorid allosauroid but a basal ornithomimosaur! This taxon moves so much along the theropod tree. It really needs a detailed description!"

This is an abstract from a talk by Max Kellermann best image I can find

Screenshot_20230316_061846_Twitter.thumb.jpg.9dc55414e3a05dac90778c528a3f65b2.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

The abstract you discuss is not the final word on the systematic placement of Deltadromeus. In their paper updating the anatomy of Elaphrosaurus (which was once classified as being an ornithomimosaur but is now assigned to Ceratosauria), Rauhut and Carrano (2016) recovered Deltadromeus as a noasaurid, and the description of Berthasaura (de Souza et al. 2021) once again raises the question of whether or not Deltadromeus lacked teeth. Bear in mind that the holotype specimen of Gualicho shinyae mostly preserves appendicular material and lacks any skull material, making it hard to say for sure if Gualicho is an ornithomimosaur or a Deltadromeus relative.

de Souza, G.A., Soares, M.B., Weinschütz, L.C., Wilner, E., Lopes, R.T., de Araújo, O.M., and Kellner, A.W., 2021. The first edentulous ceratosaur from South America. Scientific Reports 11 (1): Article number 22281. doi:10.1038/s41598-021-01312-4.

Rauhut, O. W. M., and Carrano, M. T., 2016. The theropod dinosaur Elaphrosaurus bambergi Janensch, 1920, from the Late Jurassic of Tendaguru, Tanzania. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 178: 546–610. 

2 hours ago, DD1991 said:

The abstract you discuss is not the final word on the systematic placement of Deltadromeus.

Agree

That what I said  "Nothing here is set in stone, we still need a skull to fully describe this dinosaur. "

And what Hendrickx said "It really needs a detailed description"

Interesting conversation between Hendrickx and the author...

Hendrickx : How robust is the classification of Deltadromeus among Ornithomimosauria? Can this change in the future or is it relatively robust?

Kellermann: Well the dataset is a wip in the Munich work group and Deltadromeus has not been the focus lately so I cant give you any numbers.
I can however say that its position has not changed for the last years even with the changing dataset. So I am relatively confident.