New Natural History "museum"

Ramo

After a year of almost all my fossils being wrapped up in storage, I finally got around to converting a part of my garage into the "Decker Museum of Natural History". It isn't finished yet, but today I got enough done to unwrap all my best fossils. It was just like Christmas!!! Here are a few photos of how its coming along. I haven't got a chance to lable yet, but these are all fossils I have collected primarily in Kansas, but also in Texas, Ohio, New York, Kentucky (all thanks to help from some forum members), North Dakota,South Dakota, and Nebraska.

Admission is free for all Forum Members (and anyone else interested in fossils)

Ramo

post-40-127415169707_thumb.jpg

post-40-12741517086152_thumb.jpg

post-40-12741517263018_thumb.jpg

post-40-12741517406998_thumb.jpg

post-40-12741517532464_thumb.jpg

post-40-12741517736825_thumb.jpg

post-40-12741517875317_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

What a cool project. Now if I only had a garage....wait I would need fossils too :)

I will have to pay the museum a visit when I head out that way.

"You have to listen. It is under the rocks."

It would be worth a donation just to see it.... ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again! J/K you have a great collection.I hope I get a tenth of what you have...all i have is a stinkin trilobite and a leaf >.<

Bowkill -

Great collection, and fine presentation! wub.gif

Very nice! biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing with us! smile.gif

Maybe,... one day I'll make it out your way....(sigh)!mellow.gif

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow! Very nice collection. Did you collect all that yourself? Thanks for posting it.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Thats nice Rano more pictures when it is finished I hope.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again! J/K you have a great collection.I hope I get a tenth of what you have...all i have is a stinkin trilobite and a leaf >.<

Consider yourself lucky, some would kill to find a trilobite or a leaf. :D

Nice collection, and great display case Bowkill!

Thanks for nice words. Now I'm motivated to do a little prep work. Here is a crinoid I cleaned up a little today. I found this in Kentucky last year with "Solis symbosis".

I also finished up an X Fish today I'll start another post and put some pictures on (did I mention the X-fish is "only" missing about 99% of it's body. But most of the tail is there!)

post-40-12742347487073_thumb.jpg

post-40-12742347652576_thumb.jpg

-Aldo Leopold

The level of prep work you guys do is amazing to me. I know this might not be the place to put this but what item do u consider a must have for prep work? I went to harbor freight and looked a micro media blaster for 100 bucks. I have a dremel and,well aside from a few dental picks...thats it. Keep up the great work!!

Stonebreaker, if you look back at old posts, there is quite a bit of info on preping. Unfortunately, it seems that trial and error is the best method I have found for learning to prep. (There are lots of "not-so-perfect" fossils to practice on.) I am an amature, compared to many on here. I use a dremmel a little, dental picks a lot, and a "Badger" brand micro blaster. (One sold for work on models.) I bought it of the web for about $30. It doesn't send out a small stream for detail work, but it works great on chalk, and I also used it for cleaning up some NY trilobites, and that Kentucky crinoid. I just load it up with baking soda, and blast away.

Ramo

post-40-12744061046143_thumb.jpg

-Aldo Leopold