Sharon B

I have no idea what this is.  Someone thought it was a tooth, but it doesn't look like one to me.  It's 7.5 inches long, 2 inches at its widest, and about 0.75 inch at its thickest.   The distance from the piece away from the scale distorts the size and makes it look a little bigger in the photos than it actually is.  

Thank you! 

Edited to add location.  Washington State 

20230321_153151.jpg

20230321_153303.jpg

Edited by Sharon B
Tag of location didn't show in body of topic.

This is a common structure in the bedding of sediments that were deposited in moving water. Sorry not a fossil.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

This is a common structure in the bedding of sediments that were deposited in moving water. Sorry not a fossil.

Thank you!  I'm not disappointed at all.  I couldn't fathom what type of creature it would've been from.  Knowing what it is is helpful...so basically it's soil that settled in an interesting pattern and turned into rock?  

27 minutes ago, Sharon B said:

Thank you!  I'm not disappointed at all.  I couldn't fathom what type of creature it would've been from.  Knowing what it is is helpful...so basically it's soil that settled in an interesting pattern and turned into rock?  

Yes. Soil might not be the best term. Most of the organic nature would likely be washed away. River deltas and relatively slow flowing water in general is often where it is seen.