CANADA: Is this a REAL MEGALODON Tooth??

• New Members

Hi there,

I am hoping some experts could help me determine if this tooth is real or not. I did some research and it appears to be a megalodon tooth (possible fake?) from the Pungo River Formation.

I found it at a thrift shop  and my Fiance was pretty annoyed I would spend so much on a fake tooth. It is odd to find at a thrift shop/red cross so that is why i am asking as well... Curious what you guys think this could be worth if you in fact think it is real.. i measure the longest point from the tip to the root edge at just over 5.5" (its difficult to show this in a picture).

As a non-expert, I feel this could be real as it is fairly heavy, it does not seem like something cast in a single mold, the coloring is imperfect like it is natural and there are alot of different textures. The root is rougher, the enamel is very smooth and the part under the enamel looks like what i would think as bone.

Super curious what everyone thinks! My fiancé is not too happy about me spending [price removed] on a fake tooth... HELP! 

M7.thumb.jpg.1cb379bcee4bcd9e88c99f2229e22af2.jpgM6.thumb.jpg.0254991e67dfc3ae26069929b9d87228.jpgM5.thumb.jpg.3e9d819f7ceff215cc852d3108b20151.jpgM4.thumb.jpg.96f866967804bc3894a81032c5477b36.jpgM3.thumb.jpg.eb2b679c17df1937712f90ef7868048b.jpgM2.thumb.jpg.516d089cbd01ce2f9c67c70ec53ec657.jpgM1.thumb.jpg.4360805829ff7932ab96d7ccb2193894.jpg

I am not an experienced with Meg teeth. 

Most of the enamel seems to have flaked off the blade of this tooth.  If it was going to be faked, I would think it would be more pristine. 

So I would say it's real 

• I Agree 2

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

As per forum rules, please do not post prices nor ask about the value of specimens. Thanks. 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Looks real to me, but it’s in rough shape.

• I Agree 3

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Looks like it was glued back together as well. No use faking a meg which is in such bad shape as this one. Hopefully this guy is still your fiance :P

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

From the photos, you own a large, as found (no monkey business), worn Megalodon tooth. It is a nice example from the business end of that huge predator. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

No doubt a real megalodon tooth. However I wonder if it came from the Pungo River fm. It looks more akin to a ledge tooth off the NC coast. No way at this point to make definitive assignment as to origin but just a suspicion based solely on appearance (often a poor decision).

A real Megalodon tooth. Not in the best condition, its a water find , most of the serrations and the blade is missing. I would look for a beter / other one as they are not that expensive. If you already bought it, no worries, you can buy other beter ones in the future :) but you can be sure, nothing is fake about this fossil. 

It's real, it's in terrible condition and it does look like a Ledge tooth from off the coast of the Carolinas.
Even though it's large, the poor condition keeps the value very low - I hope you didn't overpay.