Crocodile Skull Chunk

Fossil_Adult

That is a great find.  I agree (even though it seems unanimous now)... that isa  mammal maxilla.  And if it is Paleocene, it is huge.  I look forward to see what the museum folks have to say.  

• I Agree 1

On 3/31/2023 at 8:51 AM, automech said:

Great job, man! :thumbsu:I went through that area a couple years back. On a Sunday. Bigggg mistake. Cars were lined on the street around Purse parking lot. Was lucky to find one spot left at Douglas Pt. :DOH: My wife would only tolerate 2hrs of sitting around while me and the kids searched. 

I don't even go there anymore now.  Use to be no one but then the GPS directions were posted and the place blew up.  5 years ago no cars in the parking lot.  Now you can't find a spot.  

• I Agree 1

@Northern Neck In a few weeks, I'll attempt going there, on a Thursday, with my kids and my godson visiting from Utah with his family. Hopefully, by taking the day off from work, it'll be empty :fingerscrossed:. And, the weather is nice. I might attempt my first field report, too.

11 hours ago, automech said:

@Northern Neck In a few weeks, I'll attempt going there, on a Thursday, with my kids and my godson visiting from Utah with his family. Hopefully, by taking the day off from work, it'll be empty :fingerscrossed:. And, the weather is nice. I might attempt my first field report, too.

You should be good on a Thursday.  Saturday and Sunday I would avoid! Should be warm also so good luck!  You can literally dig anywhere and find about 5-6 sand shark teeth per sift lol

• I Agree 1

13 hours ago, automech said:

Hopefully it won’t be too busy on Thursday. Last week I went there on Monday (didn’t find too much but I hope to write up a trip report soon) expecting it to be pretty empty, but I was sorely mistaken…

The Purse lot was completely full and I was forced to park at one of the Douglas Point lots. I was shocked that it would be full on a Monday but I suppose it is a pretty popular spot. Then again, it was Easter week and I believe many public schools in the area set their Spring Breaks to fall on that week. So I hope that was the reason and that you find the beach pleasantly empty. I look forward to reading your trip report - maybe you’ll find that Otodus that has eluded me thus far…

@Andúril Flame of the West That sounds like what happened to you- Easter Break. I would, at least, hope for a spot in the parking lot. I've checked to projected low tide time for that day, and, will def be there at the proper time. For some crazy reason it's flooded with people, I do have a great (private) spot further down the Potomac I would use as a backup. Yeah, an Otodus is always on my radar.

• 2 months later...

Hello @Fossil_Adult, have you received any updates on the specimen from the experts at CMM? Was simply curious since it is such an intriguing and likely significant find. :Smiling:

• I Agree 5

Just sent an email checking in. I will let you guys know if there are any updates on the specimen. 

• Enjoyed 2