First Fossil Event for the Kids

FossilNerd

Some of you may remember my struggles with the COVID lockdowns and having to shutdown my event rental business. Sad times. :( 

Well… my wife is at it again!  She recently started another business venture (about 8 months ago. I think…) This time it’s an imaginative indoor play area specifically for kids in the age range of 0-8 years old. It’s been well received by our community and she is doing great!

Why does The Fossil Forum care? I’m glad you asked! 

Today my wife had her first Fossil Event for the kids. A private event with a limited number of tickets. The event consisted of kids getting to dig open a “dinosaur egg” which contained a plastic dinosaur toy that was hidden inside. A grab bag full of goodies, snacks, special fossil themed play areas, and open play to the entire facility.

She also had a local fossil expert on hand to show real fossils to the kids. That’s me! 

All of the children were 5 years old or less. I spoke to each of them in turn since they had to come to me to get an identification for the dinosaur they just found in their egg. 

It was a joy to watch their face light up when I showed them the Megalodon tooth or petrified wood. I equally enjoyed their nose wrinkling in disgust when I handed them fossil poo**. The insect could go either way. I also gave each kid a real fossil to take home in their goodie bag.

My meager fossil setup is shown below. It’s not much, but was enough for the 5 year olds (and younger). Showing them things they could understand and relate to was key. A big tooth, wood, a bug, poo. I also threw in a few local specimens that they may find in their own backyards.

It was a fun time and I thoroughly enjoyed spreading a bit of my fossil enthusiasm to the younger generation. I will certainly do it again in the future.

**I know that the “fossil poo” I brought is not likely a coprolite, and may even be strictly geological, but to a 5 year old, if it’s the shape and color of poo, then it must be poo! :heartylaugh:

826608E3-B263-454D-8EDF-CD86318E6A89.thumb.jpeg.6d4cffaf526480ae2286f3b4b5b2c4e4.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

:thumbsu:that's exciting.

Edited by fifbrindacier
  • Enjoyed 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

9 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Well… my wife is at it again!

You can’t keep a good woman down for long. Congratulations and good work in pass on the fossil collection bug. Cheers Bobby 

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

The event consisted of kids getting to dig open a “dinosaur egg”

Nice to see your interest in youth!!!! I have been involved in many youth oriented fossil projects locally and will speak from experience. The most enjoyed project by kids of ALL AGES is getting to crack open their own "rock" and see what it contains. My fossil rocks are made from joint compound (plaster of paris is an alternative but creates a harder rock to crack open) with a treasure hidden inside. Just a thought!! 

Mike

• Enjoyed 3

Just now, minnbuckeye said:

Nice to see your interest in youth!!!! I have been involved in many youth oriented fossil projects locally and will speak from experience. The most enjoyed project by kids of ALL AGES is getting to crack open their own "rock" and see what it contains. My fossil rocks are made from joint compound (plaster of paris is an alternative but creates a harder rock to crack open) with a treasure hidden inside. Just a thought!! 

Mike

Mike,

I was actually going to do just this based on a previous post of yours! Unfortunately, life got in the way and I ran out of time. Ordering those pre-made eggs with toys inside was Plan B. Next time I will be more prepared.  

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 minute ago, FossilNerd said:

Unfortunately, life got in the way and I ran out of time.

I have similar problems in life. I now create rocks in bulk so when an event comes up, the  rocks are there. Making 200 rocks takes little more time than 20!! Consider purchasing bulk fossil sharks teeth to place inside the rocks. Again, from experience, children MUCH PREFER a sharks tooth to a brachiopod.

• I Agree 1

"EGGS-cellent"  idea for the kids!:thumbsu:

• Thank You 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

2 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Again, from experience, children MUCH PREFER a sharks tooth to a brachiopod.

I could see that. The kids much preferred me talking about the Meg tooth, insect, or even poo that I brought to the coral, brachiopod, or gastropod that they might find in their own back yard. 

1 minute ago, FossilNerd said:

The kids much preferred me talking about the Meg tooth, insect, or even poo that I brought to the coral,

But is all about how to getting them off on a journey of discovery, sometimes you need a hook to get them started.  

it great you’re both offering a fun places for little kids to play and learn.

• Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

But is all about how to getting them off on a journey of discovery, sometimes you need a hook to get them started.  

it great you’re both offering a fun places for little kids to play and learn.  

Thanks Bobby! I agree about the hook to get them started. 

My wife and I love kids and have always had a desire to do things for them in some capacity. In our previous business, it was donating our equipment, time, or resources to charitable events that directly affected children.

This new business of hers was just a natural fit. Having little ones of our own we knew the struggles of finding a safe space for them to play and learn. She does many other types of events, hosts community groups, and even has therapists that bring in kids with special needs for sessions. That’s on top of the normal open play time and hosting birthday parties. The business is still in its infancy, but it has really done very well so far.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, Darktooth said:

"EGGS-cellent"  idea for the kids!:thumbsu:

:default_clap2:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg