Recommendations for usb microscope?

Frightmares

Hey guys,

I’m looking for some recommendations for a digital usb microscope. I’ve heard Dino Lite is a good brand, so I’ve been looking at some of their models. The main thing I’m looking to use it for is examining and measuring dinosaur teeth and serration density. I was looking at the Dino Lite AM3113 model or AF3113T model, as I’m looking for something in the $200-$300 range. The only thing I’m worried about with that model is the picture quality as the resolution is 640x480. Another reason I was leaning towards the Dino Lite is because I’ve heard they fit snug in their stands, where I’ve heard some others like Amscope were loose in the stands. Does anyone have any experience with these models? What microscopes do you guys use?

The biggest problem I have with any USB scope is that they are mono and not stereo. There is absolutely no depth perception!

I use a Dyno Lite for petrified wood and fern studies and such things as leaf scars are impossible to distinguish. They just blend in.

Customer service at Dino has been very good to me.

Gordon

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Charmorgia said:

The biggest problem I have with any USB scope is that they are mono and not stereo. There is absolutely no depth perception!

I use a Dyno Lite for petrified wood and fern studies and such things as leaf scars are impossible to distinguish. They just blend in.

Customer service at Dino has been very good to me.

Gordon

Yes, but the OP didnt ask about visualizing leaf scars.  Microscope imaging has many uses that dont require binocular vision.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

3 hours ago, Frightmares said:

Hey guys,

I’m looking for some recommendations for a digital usb microscope. I’ve heard Dino Lite is a good brand, so I’ve been looking at some of their models. The main thing I’m looking to use it for is examining and measuring dinosaur teeth and serration density. I was looking at the Dino Lite AM3113 model or AF3113T model, as I’m looking for something in the $200-$300 range. The only thing I’m worried about with that model is the picture quality as the resolution is 640x480. Another reason I was leaning towards the Dino Lite is because I’ve heard they fit snug in their stands, where I’ve heard some others like Amscope were loose in the stands. Does anyone have any experience with these models? What microscopes do you guys use?

I'm actively looking at cameras too.  So many options and widely varying reviews make it difficult to choose.  resolution, color correction, proprietary software, durability, and when using for video (as I am looking at) also, video resolution, frame rate, capture rate and more to consider.

Are you looking for a handheld or microscope mounted camera?

Edited by hadrosauridae
  • I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

My USB scope is a Dino Lite.   They offer a wide range of scopes for different applications.  

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

I'm actively looking at cameras too.  So many options and widely varying reviews make it difficult to choose.  resolution, color correction, proprietary software, durability, and when using for video (as I am looking at) also, video resolution, frame rate, capture rate and more to consider.

Are you looking for a handheld or microscope mounted camera?

Looking for a handheld one but also planning to get a table top stand to keep it steady.