"Globe" showing the history of plate tectonics

Bill Hoddson

There are so many maps which show the continents as they moved.  The problem I have is they all seem to depict the geographical center.

Are there any online "globes" which show the entirety, including the "proto-Pacific"

11 minutes ago, Bill Hoddson said:

There are so many maps which show the continents as they moved.  The problem I have is they all seem to depict the geographical center.

Are there any online "globes" which show the entirety, including the "proto-Pacific"

Here's one I've looked at before, not sure about the accuracy.

https://dinosaurpictures.org/ancient-earth#240 

• I found this Informative 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

• 2 weeks later...

Can I just say, I hate maps that show the boundaries of the US states but not the Canadian provinces... :shakehead: 

Hate 'em'.

10 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Can I just say, I hate maps that show the boundaries of the US states but not the Canadian provinces... :shakehead: 

Hate 'em'.

I can see that would be a problem, especially since it would only take five minutes to outline your like thirteen provinces and territories.

Maybe the creators of these maps just think Americans have no geographic knowledge and wouldn't be able to locate their own state on a map. I'm glad I'm an exception to this stereotype. :D

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

12 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Hate 'em'.

I feel your pain.   Similarly, I remember growing up in Boston and watching the weather on the news.... when there was crazy weather in New England it always stopped on the northern border of NH, VT and ME.  I always got bent out of shape because they totally ignored Canada.  They'd say things like " the worst part of the storm will be in northern VT and NH"  If that's the worse, can't you just tell us what the storm is doing in southern Quebec and maybe in Montreal.  No weather across the border was the message. 

2 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Maybe the creators of these maps just think Americans have no geographic knowledge and wouldn't be able to locate their own state on a map. I'm glad I'm an exception to this stereotype. :D

Not just a stereotype... a proven fact.  Americans are geographic idiots.  

17 minutes ago, jpc said:

Its not just Americans. Ive tried asking directions in other countries and so many people couldnt even understand the map.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

30 minutes ago, jpc said:

Very true.

I think people are bad at geography all over. But I've noticed that even smart Jeopardy contestants consistently leave the geography category for last and hope the clock runs out before they have to reveal their ignorance. If Americans are particularly bad at it, it may be because of America-centrism, and I wonder if this Globe is an example of such. I'm tempted top ask the creator if their map was intended for American use only...

Well, as it is fun to remind people that Canada is the second largest country in the world, we also have a population a tenth of the size of US (most of it clustered around US borders). Efforts to create these kind of maps likely play to the largest audience in terms of maximizing utility, and us Canadians simply won't rank. There are many countries represented on this map (not all of them) that have populations that exceed ours in either population or geography to more granular detail. I take the map as purely heuristic and can make my approximations accordingly.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It's not about which country has the largest population, but the fact that Canada is so large an area that it would help to see the provincial borders to identify what we're looking at in the paleomaps. France and Germany have larger populations but they don't really need to be subdivided because they're relatively small.

Russia seems similarly undivided, and they are geographically bigger than Canada.

At the end of the day, we don't want to see this devolve into nationalism. If there is an issue, reaching out to the creator of the map seems the best option, as @JohnJ suggested. If someone really believes this is important, make the effort to facilitate the change. Bellyaching about it here will do nothing. Make the case for why we need those more granular details, and make it to those who are in a position to do something about it. Otherwise, it is just whining. 

Since it is largely heuristic, these are not the maps to plan trips. They are also somewhat speculative, so assuming more than that is not going to be helpful for very much. These maps give a "sense" of what "may" have been the continental arrangement at particular geologic times. Given that the continental US and continental Canada didn't drift apart in any significant way provides us with a loose guide. Everything else is digging into the literature. :hammer01:

Its not like we don't have the Geologic Survey of Canada. We do. We have likely a million hours in assessing just about every inch of our land.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Who's talking about nationalism? I wouldn't mind seeing Russia subdivided too, and China, Aus and Brazil. I just think it would help to show things that help the viewer (of any nationality) to recognize places on the map when the coastlines are altered beyond recognition as you go back in time, and presumably the maps have been put together from details more 'granular' than Canadian provinces and US states (and if not, they could soon be, as the thing is improved with more data). The political boundaries are useful in giving a "sense". Much of B.C. didn't exist 500mya. So which parts did? The BC/Alberta border would help to see.

I should have known my off-the-cuff complaint would spark a lot of comment, but I certainly was not anticipating such a backlash, from anybody, to what I intended as a constructive thought in essence. The point about contacting the creator is fair.

23 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

The point about contacting the creator is fair.

:dinothumb:

Since no one here created it, the constructive thoughts lose impetus. 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

8 hours ago, JohnJ said:

:dinothumb:

Since no one here created it, the constructive thoughts lose impetus. 

I suppose, but I figured my comments could stand for anyone else who might be thinking of starting some similar geographic project, if any of them ever read this...

I'll lay off now.