2 shark teeth to I.D

Randyw

Hi!

i was rearranging my fossil displays and came across these two teeth I forgot i had. As I am terrible at identifying shark teeth I was just wondering if anyone could I.D. Them for me. Thank you for looking!

IMG_4123.jpeg

2nd one looks like a meg.  Does the first one have worn serrations?  I can't tell...the shadow looks a little jaggedy. If not, maybe hastalis.  Any idea where they are from?

Edited by Fin Lover
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

3 hours ago, Fin Lover said:

Does the first one have worn serrations

It has some very worn serrations but it almost takes a magnifying glass to see them.

i wondered about a meg but I didn’t think the bourlette (sp?) was big enough… unfortunatly I have been collecting these for 40 years and most of their origins were various store or shops so thier original locations are lost..

LOL! Someday I’m going to try to identify all of these.. most but not all of the time i can identify megs but after them….I’m lost LOL!

thanks for looking!

IMG_4125.jpeg

I'm not sure on the first one with serrations, then. As for the bourlette on the second one, little megs have little bourlettes.  :Wink1:

As for your new photo, you have lots of megs, two Hemipristis serra (snaggletooth), some Moroccan Otodus obliquus, and other stuff that I would have to see better (but still may not know :)).

Edited by Fin Lover
  • Enjoyed 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Cool! I knew about the big megs, the otodus obliguus, the hemipistus, and some squalicorax pristodontus. Now with your info i can now move some of the small ones i was on the fence about firmly into the meg camp. I was hoping one of them would turn out to be g.w. But they got small bourlettes.. oh well…

Thank you!

• Enjoyed 1

I'd think great white if tooth #1 has serrations. Especially if it is also relatively flat overall.

• Enjoyed 1