I found these two pieces in the Drakes formation of Louisville, Kentucky a little while ago. I'm 85% sure that these are molt fragments from Isotelus maximus but needed a second opinion. One could argue that these are simply iron coatings on pebbles, but if you look at the second one, the "coating" dips down into the pebble, and is also mixed in with a few other fossils such as vinlandostrophia. Then again I could still be wrong, I have been before.

20230518_003238.jpg

20230518_003301.jpg

20230518_003322.jpg

20230518_003328.jpg

20230518_003328~3.jpg

I think you are likely right with Isotelus fragment. A bit weather worn, but they have that chocolate color one would expect, which seems to be darker in the Drakes compared to other formations.  They are commonly found in nearly all Ordovician exposures I have hunted in the area. Not sure on species as I don’t remember off the top of my head if multiple species can be found in the Drakes Formation or not. If multiple species are in the Drakes, it’s unlikely you will be able to narrow these pieces down to a species.

Here is a quick and dirty picture of one of mine for comparison. Sorry for the quick pic. I’m supposed to be getting ready for work, but got distracted. Lol ;) :) 

FC55D696-5033-4B17-BBDA-A0FE8DF0BCDF.thumb.jpeg.49d90545952babb87b5ae0d434ac181f.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

4 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I think you are likely right with Isotelus fragment. A bit weather worn, but they have that chocolate color one would expect, which seems to be darker in the Drakes compared to other formations.  They are commonly found in nearly all Ordovician exposures I have hunted in the area. Not sure on species as I don’t remember off the top of my head if multiple species can be found in the Drakes Formation or not. If multiple species are in the Drakes, it’s unlikely you will be able to narrow these pieces down to a species.

Here is a quick and dirty picture of one of mine for comparison. Sorry for the quick pic. I’m supposed to be getting ready for work, but got distracted. Lol ;) :) 

FC55D696-5033-4B17-BBDA-A0FE8DF0BCDF.thumb.jpeg.49d90545952babb87b5ae0d434ac181f.jpeg

Thanks for the help as always!

Very nice piece of isotelus! I always love finding those!

• Enjoyed 1