Prep help Miocene whale jawbone

Rexofspades

Hi everybody, 

Last year I found this awesome chunk of whale bone and I am getting enough time on my hands to prepare it. I think I need to consolidate the tiny cracks before I try to clean off the sand and dust. But I'd like to consult the experts before I proceed. I used to have Paleobond but that ran out and I don't know what to get for use on this big guy. Any thoughts or comments appreciated!

20221230_190724.jpg

20221230_190748.jpg

20221231_084455.jpg

How you are planning to prep it might influence what you need to do to consolidate it. For acid prep you're going to want to be really sure that all those cracks are 100% water tight and the end bits of cancellous bone also need to be sealed up in my experience.

If you're going to be using air abrasion, I'm not that sure as I haven't used it on a fossil like this before. You might get away with some B72 into those cracks. B72 is something I often use as I was told by a museum conservator that it is possible to reverse (mostly at least).

• I found this Informative 1

On 5/22/2023 at 4:50 AM, mamlambo said:

How you are planning to prep it might influence what you need to do to consolidate it. For acid prep you're going to want to be really sure that all those cracks are 100% water tight and the end bits of cancellous bone also need to be sealed up in my experience.

If you're going to be using air abrasion, I'm not that sure as I haven't used it on a fossil like this before. You might get away with some B72 into those cracks. B72 is something I often use as I was told by a museum conservator that it is possible to reverse (mostly at least).

On 5/22/2023 at 4:50 AM, mamlambo said:

Whoa The Man himself! I knew you were on this forum but I never expected a reply here. Thanks for the advice, yea I'm going to try and get my hands on some B72 then. 

PS, love your channel 

Don't use a plastic consolidant before you clean the bone -- that would make cleaning a lot more difficult.  I would use air abrasion with a less aggressive medium like glass beads.  I can imagine no need for using acid.  Once free of matrix residue, soak the bone generously with your consolidant of choice.  More info on consolidation here:

Harry Pristis - The Fossil Forum

• Thank You 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest