Strange flower like thing in burmite Electrophycus? What even was Electrophycus?

jikohr

Hi everyone!

I recently acquired a flower like thing in burmite and I'm trying to figure out what this thing is. The closest match I can find is this thing called Electrophycus astroplethus which should be mystery solved except I'm having trouble understanding exactly what type of plant it is.

https://www.palaeontologie-troppenz.de/amber-bernstein seems to classify it as an "algal flowering body" from the Chaetophoraceae family, a family of green algae.

My question is, is my ID right and is that really what this thing is? An algae flower? Is that a thing that existed? The idea kinda reminds me of the "algal fruiting bodies" aka porocystis you find all over the Texas limestone which coincidentally are a very similar age (Mid Cretaceous). Was algae just a lot more creative back then?

The plant inclusion measures 14 mm, though I've seen them bigger.

Any insight is appreciated as always!

s-l1600 (24).jpg

s-l1600 (25).jpg

s-l1600 (26).jpg

s-l1600 (27).jpg

flower bug 1a1.jpg

flower bug 1b1.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Hi Jikohr,

thats an intriguing fossil!

I am no expert in palaeobotany at all, I just mention what I think may be helpful details: Electrophycus seems to have very characteristic starshaped structures, can you see those in your specimen when taking macro shots?

Your specimen superficially looks like a whole small plant with root, the rootlike part I could not find in any of the few Electrophycus references online.

I do not know if those golden looking "hairs" really are hairs (trichomes), or if its  rather some kind of leaf/needle/whatever plant organ that looks hairlike due to preservation.

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

your specimen could be a fagacean inflorescence

edit: I'll let this one stand*,taxonomic doubt is inherently interesting.

*change of mind,which can happen!

Edited by doushantuo

1 hour ago, Mahnmut said:

Hi Jikohr,

thats an intriguing fossil!

I am no expert in palaeobotany at all, I just mention what I think may be helpful details: Electrophycus seems to have very characteristic starshaped structures, can you see those in your specimen when taking macro shots?

Your specimen superficially looks like a whole small plant with root, the rootlike part I could not find in any of the few Electrophycus references online.

I do not know if those golden looking "hairs" really are hairs (trichomes), or if its  rather some kind of leaf/needle/whatever plant organ that looks hairlike due to preservation.

Best Regards,

J

Found em! They're really tiny, really really faint, and my microscope does NOT do well with this kind of thing but I found them! They stand out the most were the "bulb" meets the "stalk".I'm actually really proud of this pic! (I actually did see that bit on the star things and completely glossed over it, thanks for pointing that out!) 

Well that answers the Id question, Now all that remains is what is an Electrophycus aka "algal flowering body" anyway? And what is the deal with these weird algal things from the Cretaceous?

1816305473_electro1a.thumb.jpg.3ef6a320f9a252d4b05a202e8147b284.jpg

stellate hairs are thought to have a connection with /thought to be an adaptation to (periodically?) arid climate,and not particular to the chaetophorales

editorial note:

you might want to contact G.Poinar,Jr,who in 2022 described Eophylica,and might have had a taxonomic change of heart

Edited by doushantuo

9 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

stellate hairs are thought to have a connection with /thought to be an adaptation to (periodically?) arid climate,and not particular to the chaetophorales

So..... it is a type of green algae, and the star shape structures are thought to have helped out in an at least sometimes arid climate? Am I reading that right?

Do you know what the overall structure was for by any chance? Was this used in reproduction like normal flowers, or did it serve another purpose?

like I said in my "editorial note": your species might not be "chlorophycean",and I am unable to access Poinar's 2022 paper,so,for the real lowdown on the systematics of your specimen

I advise you to contact Poinar

8 hours ago, doushantuo said:

like I said in my "editorial note": your species might not be "chlorophycean",and I am unable to access Poinar's 2022 paper,so,for the real lowdown on the systematics of your specimen

I advise you to contact Poinar

Terrific, it's the bit with the Isalo all over again. Why don't universities let people access these papers? They don't even put them behind a paywall.

I'll try reaching out but I don't have high hopes, any time I have reached out to academics I get zero response.