When this nautiloid was embedded in the bedrock, the exposed part was eroded flat to the surface.  When freed from that bedrock, the protected 'other side' was unaffected.

• I Agree 7

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Any chance that it has been preserved more or less completely and just "sliced" by weathering, wind erosion etc.? I am noticing many protruding clasts on the "sliced" surface.
Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

Well,the whole piece was exhumed at one time or another,and subject to erosion

• I Agree 1

1 minute ago, FranzBernhard said:

Any chance that it has been preserved more or less completely and just "sliced" by weathering, wind erosion etc.? I am noticing many protruding clasts on the "sliced" surface.
Franz Bernhard

I agree. My point above was that it was eroded level with the bedrock surface.  ;)

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

30 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Franz Bernhard

those protrusions are alveolina, also its probably happened during its preservation because it looks too flat for it to have gotten weathered after preservation

Edited by deltav2
  • Enjoyed 1

I can only think of one related fossil (an ammonoid, not ammonite) where the flat side is a natural feature, and that would be Maclurites from the Ordovician. In this case, to my eye it looks like erosion occurred when it was already fossilized, and somehow it got separated from the rest of the bedrock.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

13 minutes ago, Kane said:

I can only think of one related fossil (an ammonoid, not ammonite) where the flat side is a natural feature, and that would be Maclurites from the Ordovician. In this case, to my eye it looks like erosion occurred when it was already fossilized, and somehow it got separated from the rest of the bedrock.

Maclurites was a gastropod. :)

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

now that i look at it, it looks more like it eroded after preservation but its strange that none of my other fossils from the same region show any signs of wind erosion, only compression

• I found this Informative 2

Deltav,those Alveolina could have stratigraphical  significance,as you perhaps already know

Where did you find your piece,Damman,Al Kharrara maybe?

Edited by doushantuo

Just now, doushantuo said:

Deltav,those Alveolina coud have stratigraphical  significance,as you perhaps already know

Yes the formation where i found it is called dukhan alveolina limestone due to the abundance of it

Just now, doushantuo said:

so  your piece is about "middle Eocene"( Umm Babb Membe(pars)

yes

36 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Maclurites was a gastropod. :)

If you could see what shade of red my embarrassment has created! And I even knew that... I've been out in the sun too long! :D 

I'm going to sit in the corner with the pointy hat for now. :P 

• Enjoyed 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 minute ago, Kane said:

If you could see what shade of red my embarrassment has created! And I even knew that... I've been out in the sun too long! :D 

I'm going to sit in the corner with the pointy hat for now. :P 

Ha! 

If I could count on one hand the amount of embarrassing mistakes I've made on this forum, I'd have an awful lot of fingers. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Same here.  If I got half a nickle for every mistake I made here, my wallet would reach to the Coalsack Nebula.

I just edited a post, and wouldn't you know it: as per usual, I mentioned the cause for the edit.

AND I Typed: "Tpoy agian". Seriously

Are you in big trouble if you cant type "typo"?

YES

• Enjoyed 1

That´s half of the fun here. Making mistakes and learning from them.

"It looks like..."

"It could be..."

etc.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1