Raysun

I have photos to share and was hoping someone could help to identify them for me, thank you. 

IMG_20230604_200629029_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230604_200737148~2.jpg

IMG_20230604_200705377~2.jpg

IMG_20230604_195052989_HDR~3.jpg

IMG_20230604_194614014~2.jpg

IMG_20230604_195052989_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230604_194623568~2.jpg

2086367960_IMG_20230604_1947007272.jpg

Where did you find it? I’m not too good with crystals but maybe a copper crystal like azurite.

53 minutes ago, Danielb said:

Where did you find it? I’m not too good with crystals but maybe a copper crystal like azurite.

I inherited a collection from a professor of geology and now just going through them so unfortunately I don't know their origins other than he was originally from Indiana but lived in Silver City NM . 

Just now, Raysun said:

I inherited a collection from a professor of geology and now just going through them so unfortunately I don't know their origins other than he was originally from Indiana but lived in Silver City NM . 

I am very new to the forum so if I am posting incorrectly, I will make the necessary changes. 

These appear to be copper minerals. I think I see azurite and chrysocola plus others.

42 minutes ago, grandpa said:

These appear to be copper minerals. I think I see azurite and chrysocola plus others.

Interesting, thank you sir. 

• Enjoyed 1

44 minutes ago, grandpa said:

I have other rocks that I thought were Azurite and they are different in color and texture. Are there variations in the host matrix or color? 

Azurite is characterized by the deep navy blue shown in the sample above.  There are other blue, aqua, blue-green, green-blue, green, deep green . . . copper minerals that are found in association with azurite.  Some of these include linarite, brochantite, malachite, rosasite, chrysocolla, turquoise, to name a few.  Various tests for hardness, streak color, specific gravity, luster, crystal morphology etc. are used to help distinguish the IDs. 

38 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Azurite is characterized by the deep navy blue shown in the sample above.  There are other blue, aqua, blue-green, green-blue, green, deep green . . . copper minerals that are found in association with azurite.  Some of these include linarite, brochantite, malachite, rosasite, chrysocolla, turquoise, to name a few.  Various tests for hardness, streak color, specific gravity, luster, crystal morphology etc. are used to help distinguish the IDs. 

Very informative. Thanks again sir for taking the time. 

• Enjoyed 1

Hi,

And especially sharp photos! We need to see crystalline shapes in addition to colors.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

5 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

And especially sharp photos! We need to see crystalline shapes in addition to colors.

Coco

Understood and agreed, I will take better photos.