The following article was written with a touch of humor and exaggeration, It condensed several years of my fossil collecting journey into a snapshot, making it seem like a whirlwind of sneaking fossils into the house and let me assure everyone that my wife and I have a loving and understanding relationship.

Picture this: I've got thirty plastic boxes filled to the brim with fossils stashed under my pool table, and I've resorted to covert operations, cleverly stashing more fossils around the house, playing a real-life game of 'Fossil Hide and Seek' with my wife. When I first started collecting fossils, it was my therapy for a severe case of dino-sized depression. My wife, bless her heart, supports my fossil addiction, but to her, they're just rocks. 'You're bringing in more rocks? Don't you think you have enough?' she exclaims whenever I sneak in a new find. But now, things are getting out of hand. It's becoming a sinking situation, quite literally! My house is buckling under the weight of my ever-growing collection. I have to resort to covert operations to sneak fossils inside. You'd think I'm a secret agent, It's like a delicate dance—I'm smuggling fossils into the house while she's off shopping or distracted in the bathroom. I've even resorted to sneaking them through the basement windows whenever I get the chance. Any chance I get, I'm sneaking those prehistoric marvels inside. It's a fossil frenzy! Have I reached a point of fossil collecting madness?

So, I've come to a drastic decision. I'm going digital. I'm nearing the milestone of thousands of fossils and can't continue living like a fossil smuggler, beside my house is crying for mercy. It's time for a change, I'm going to digitize my entire collection! I'll meticulously record the fossils' locations, their IDs, GPS coordinates, and photos of the specimens and where they were found. Then, I'll present this digital fossil extravaganza to an organization that will give my fossils a new home.

But here's the catch—I'm absolutely terrified they'll burst into laughter when they see my collection. I mean, I'm no professional paleontologist. I collected anything and everything without a clue about their scientific value. Will they appreciate my amateur efforts? Or will they be rolling on the floor laughing? But hey, at least it will make for a good laugh, right?

Alternatively, I could bring them back to where they were found, but guess what? There's actually a law in Canada that says, 'No returning fossils to their natural habitat'. Can you believe it? It's like my fossils have a restraining order against their own birthplaces!

It's a wild ride, this fossil frenzy of mine. But hey, at least it's provided some much-needed excitement and healing from my severe depression. In the end, I'll find a way to solve this fossil frenzy. Whether it's through digital records and finding an organization brave enough to take them. And who knows, maybe my collection will surprise everyone and become the envy of paleontologists worldwide. Or maybe I'll just keep them as my little secret, my hidden fossil kingdom.

PS: If any of you out there have caught the fossil frenzy bug like me, please let me know! It would be an absolute delight to find out I'm not the only one. We can share tips on hiding them from our loved ones, because let's face it, sometimes our fossil obsession can get a little out of hand.  And for those moments when our fossil obsession reaches its peak, we can use this topic as a support group, a sanctuary where we can vent about the challenges of finding more space for our ever-growing collections.  Remember, it's always better to be fossil-obsessed together! There's strength in numbers, and together, we can proudly proclaim, "We're not alone in this fossil frenzy!" 

DSC00605.thumb.JPG.976bc76de1c2f7c1469e2c85ffb2a04f.JPG

Edited by Denis Arcand
  • Enjoyed 7

One fossil a day will keep you happy all day:rolleyes:

Welcome to the FOSSIL ART

I think a digital collection sounds like a great idea.  For those fossils that the scientific community may not be interested in, sell or trade them on the forum.  Or, better yet, get involved in the rolling auction.  You can get some new fossils and then get rid of some to "even the load".  And, it all benefits the forum.

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

OK, there's a number of thoughts that rush to mind reading this post. 

First, if you've found a cure for severe depression, don't walk away from it.  That's a marvelous thing.

Second, if you and your spouse are at odds over your hobby/obsession, you both need to sit down, have a serious conversation, and perhaps even seek some counsel.

Third, if it has indeed become an obsession, it would perhaps help if you sought counsel regarding that as well.

Fourth, being in a similar situation, I bought land as an "investment" and store my overflow there.  :unsure:  (Out of sight, out of mind from my wife's perspective.)  -_-

Fifth, looking at your "pool table" collection vs. my collection, I see no problem with the amount you've collected.  But then I'm not your wife.  :shakehead:

Finally, if you really need to dispose of your collection and cannot find a taker, perhaps you could donate it to "Grandpa's Museum".  I take all rocks, fossils, minerals, artifacts, skulls, etc.   . . . And yes, it drives my wife batty, but we work it out somehow.:heartylaugh:   (Perhaps it's time I buy more land?):headscratch:

• Enjoyed 4
  • Thank You 1

Hey, my house is too big and my collection is quite small, so yeah, I can help out just as well as Grandpa can.  :heartylaugh:

• Enjoyed 2

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

Will you be showing us your digitized fossil collection? I'm sure many of us, myself included, would love to see the fruits of your frenzy.

You could definitely say I've also caught the fossil frenzy. Actually my situation was quite similar to yours, where starting to collect and learn about fossils helped me out during some really tough times. And like you, none of my close family members see any appeal in fossils; they are just uninteresting rocks to them. Soon I began to worry that I was spending too much and collecting too fast, and that this was a growing addiction. Now however, it's gotten to the point that I know that I'm 100% crazy and obsessed, and don't even care. I just love fossils too much and they occupy my mind 24/7.

Edited by Mochaccino
  • Thank You 1

You could also sell some in the for sale section then use your profits to get a shed with a sturdy floor to store the rest….make you, the wife, and the house all happy….

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, Denis Arcand said:

Picture this: I've got thirty plastic boxes filled to the brim with fossils stashed under my pool table, and I've resorted to covert operations, cleverly stashing more fossils around the house, playing a real-life game of 'Fossil Hide and Seek' with my wife. When I first started collecting fossils, it was my therapy for a severe case of dino-sized depression. My wife, bless her heart, supports my fossil addiction, but to her, they're just rocks. 'You're bringing in more rocks? Don't you think you have enough?' she exclaims whenever I sneak in a new find. But now, things are getting out of hand. It's becoming a sinking situation, quite literally! My house is buckling under the weight of my ever-growing collection. I have to resort to covert operations to sneak fossils inside. You'd think I'm a secret agent, It's like a delicate dance—I'm smuggling fossils into the house while she's off shopping or distracted in the bathroom. I've even resorted to sneaking them through the basement windows whenever I get the chance. Any chance I get, I'm sneaking those prehistoric marvels inside. It's a fossil frenzy! Have I reached a point of fossil collecting madness?

So, I've come to a drastic decision. I'm going digital. I'm nearing the milestone of thousands of fossils and can't continue living like a fossil smuggler, beside my house is crying for mercy. It's time for a change, I'm going to digitize my entire collection! I'll meticulously record the fossils' locations, their IDs, GPS coordinates, and photos of the specimens and where they were found. Then, I'll present this digital fossil extravaganza to an organization that will give my fossils a new home.

But here's the catch—I'm absolutely terrified they'll burst into laughter when they see my collection. I mean, I'm no professional paleontologist. I collected anything and everything without a clue about their scientific value. Will they appreciate my amateur efforts? Or will they be rolling on the floor laughing? But hey, at least it will make for a good laugh, right?

Alternatively, I could bring them back to where they were found, but guess what? There's actually a law in Canada that says, 'No returning fossils to their natural habitat'. Can you believe it? It's like my fossils have a restraining order against their own birthplaces!

It's a wild ride, this fossil frenzy of mine. But hey, at least it's provided some much-needed excitement and healing from my severe depression. In the end, I'll find a way to solve this fossil frenzy. Whether it's through digital records and finding an organization brave enough to take them. And who knows, maybe my collection will surprise everyone and become the envy of paleontologists worldwide. Or maybe I'll just keep them as my little secret, my hidden fossil kingdom.

PS: If any of you out there have caught the fossil frenzy bug like me, please let me know! It would be an absolute delight to find out I'm not the only one. We can share tips on hiding them from our loved ones, because let's face it, sometimes our fossil obsession can get a little out of hand.  And for those moments when our fossil obsession reaches its peak, we can use this topic as a support group, a sanctuary where we can vent about the challenges of finding more space for our ever-growing collections.  Remember, it's always better to be fossil-obsessed together! There's strength in numbers, and together, we can proudly proclaim, "We're not alone in this fossil frenzy!" 

DSC00605.thumb.JPG.976bc76de1c2f7c1469e2c85ffb2a04f.JPG

I also have a pool table, with leather drop pockets.  Enjoy both hobbies, my friend.

• Thank You 1

I must say that your purported activities sound rather extreme, particularly in regards to having a bad concience about deceiving your wife which shines through your description sometimes. I think you should be honest with her about these things, otherwise it could lead to problems. Who knows, perhaps she's even lurking here on the forum :ninja:. On the other hand, digitalizing your collection would be a more harmless activity which would keep you busy, particularly with your 2nd passion of photography, and perhaps even busy enough to be able to reduce your field activities to a point where it would be less obsessive. When you're done with that, then you can decide whether you want to donate or sell off some of it.

• Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

- Digitize your collection as detailed as possible.

- Show it off here.

- Scientific important stuff can go to a museum, other stuff can be auctioned here for the benefit of TFF.

- Your collection is nice and tidy, but simply out of sight (it takes a lot of effort to see a specimen!). Most of these packed specimens you won´t miss.

- Apply a strict policy: One pound out - a half pound in* (for the moment)!

- Tell your wife about your disorder ;).

* I have done one kg out - half kg in for some years during the last 20 years. But its difficult, when you are prospecting and finding something new or plenty of stuff not very well documented. However, this stuff can go largely to the museum, switching to the policy: stuff out - stuff in, as long as I have enough storage room. When it is filled up - museum again. And making some parcels with ugly Kainach Gosau fossils for TFF-members ;).

All the best!
Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • Thank You 1

I found your post interesting. Fossil collections has a habitat of getting out of hand for sure. This is going by my own experience and from been a member on TFF. I also suffer with depression and it can be very difficult to shake. You have found fossil hunting and collecting to be a device to shake the blues and that’s great, so be careful for what you are given up. For me it is making stuff that gets me out of my funk.
I do think sneaking things past your wife is really not the best idea and you don’t want to deserve her but I understand this well too, been that I come from a family of collectors that was all are  great at covert operations to sneak a item onto the cabinet  . You said your wife see them as just rocks, so have you thought about displaying your best examples with the information . A beautiful fossil display/ collectors cabinet is something to be appreciated and admired . You may also find this enjoyable to order and arrange your collection. An online collection is also a great idea and will keep you nice and busy but I would be very sure you are doing the right choices before you get rid of all your collection . You could keep your best fossil and as others have said put what you don’t need on the forum sale or alternatively you could give my friend grandpapa a good bunch. So from one sometimes melancholy fossil collector to another say safe and sound. 

All the Bobby 

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Oops! It seems like my article about my fossil frenzy may have unintentionally given off the wrong impression. Let me set the record straight and assure everyone that my wife and I have a loving and understanding relationship.

While my article was written with a touch of humor and exaggeration, It condensed several years of my fossil collecting journey into a snapshot, making it seem like a whirlwind of sneaking fossils into the house. In reality, it's been a gradual process over time, and I've made significant efforts to reduce the number of fossils I bring home. The truth is a bit different, my wife is no fool, and yes, I have been caught red-handed on several occasions. But rest assured, she is incredibly supportive of my passion for fossils, and our relationship is as solid as a fossilized trilobite.

I must admit, my enthusiasm for collecting fossils sometimes outweighs the available space in our home. It's a challenge to strike a balance between my obsession and maintaining a clutter-free living environment. We've had open discussions about the need to manage the collection and find ways to limit its growth.

In light of this, I'm actively taking steps to downsize my collection and ensure that it doesn't overwhelm our living space. It's all about finding a compromise that works for both of us. My wife's understanding and patience have been truly remarkable throughout this process, and I'm incredibly grateful for her support.

So, please don't worry about any marital discord based on my article. It was meant to entertain and bring a smile to your faces, not cause concern. Our relationship is strong, and we are finding solutions together to strike a balance between my passion for fossils and a harmonious living environment.

I also want to take a moment to express my gratitude to all of you who expressed concern over my relationship based on my article. It warms my heart to know that there are kind-hearted people out there who care about a perfect stranger's well-being. Your concern speaks volumes about the supportive nature of our community.

Thank you for your understanding and for joining me in the endeavor of downsizing my fossil collection. Your suggestions and new options have been invaluable. You are all amazing and your support is greatly appreciated!

• Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, Mochaccino said:

Will you be showing us your digitized fossil collection? I'm sure many of us, myself included, would love to see the fruits of your frenzy.

You can see some in the following posts

The day I went fishing for fossils (part I) (winter)
The day I went fishing for fossils (part II) (winter)

The day I went fishing for fossils (part III) (autumn)

The day I went fishing for fossils (part IV) (spring)

You can also look at my personal album

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/profile/37841-denis-arcand/&tab=node_gallery_gallery

I'm contemplating the idea of documenting one fossil per day and sharing a picture in our member collection.

9 hours ago, Denis Arcand said:

PS: If any of you out there have caught the fossil frenzy bug like me, please let me know! It would be an absolute delight to find out I'm not the only one.

The fossil frenzy bug is in my blood!!! So no, you are not alone. And though depression has not been a problem for me, the release of worldly stresses during a fossil excursion helps my mental state immensely.  During a trip, I find the space to breathe again. I can sit on a fallen tree and watch the water, listen to the birds, and even swat a few flies while discovering treasures of the past. When unearthing a little brachiopod from a long 400 million years ago and thinking about the time that this organism lived in makes me feel brief and remarkable. It helps to remind me that the many challenges or demands of our every day world don't really matter. It is only the few important things in my life that do. Just remind your wife that she is one of the important things and she should never mind your obsession!!!!!!!!!! As for your large collection, consider talking to your parks department and see if they would like to have fossils put into a sandpit of theirs. I bring home many more fossils than I  have room for storage. So I work with a local park and deposit fossils in a large "sandbox" for children to discover. In a years time, I would guess 10 five gallon buckets are buried in the sand. And at season's end, not a fossil can be found. It is a great way to thin out excesses in ones collection, allows for more collecting, and it is a great hit with our youth. 

Mike

• Enjoyed 1

I have begun to adopt minimalism into my collecting mainly because a large collection is impractical while I’m at college. And I like the lifestyle, so I will probably continue this after I graduate. I only keep display-worthy items now. Obviously, it’s not always practical, because sometimes you have to bring back a haul just because you visit a new site and don’t know what’s what. But as soon as I get a feel for a site, I size down my findings and only keep the one or two best items. I have a wonderful garden and creek to dispose of rocks when I finish with them. I also plan to donate/give away older display-worthy fossils over time when I don’t care for them as much as I used to. For example, I don’t cherish my 10-year-old Calvert Cliffs shark teeth as much as I used to. I never found anything above an inch anyway. But one of my professor’s kids loves marine biology, so I plan to give him my old collection. It’s a rewarding feeling, only keeping pieces you really love. You appreciate and notice the fossils you have around more, because they’re easier to locate in your house! 

• Enjoyed 1

3 hours ago, Denis Arcand said:

While my article was written with a touch of humor and exaggeration

That was one of the most amusing posts that I’ve read in a while and I feel that many of us here can relate to your situation. I’ve also caught a severe case of fossil fever … and I can’t say I’m unfamiliar with the phrase ‘really, another rock?’ :ighappy:.

With regards to having a large collection

there are some with much larger collections of fossils, cool rocks, and other paraphernalia. One relatively well-known collector in my area had such an immense collection that they had to have a heavy-duty support beam installed under the living room just so it wouldn’t buckle under the weight…

• Enjoyed 2

4 hours ago, Denis Arcand said:

Oops! It seems like my article about my fossil frenzy may have unintentionally given off the wrong impression. Let me set the record straight and assure everyone that my wife and I have a loving and understanding relationship.

Glad to hear that since I was somewhat concerned, so it's good to hear that you were exaggerating and trying to be humorous at the same time. I can give you a link to my recent activities which may inspire you to continue on your chosen path.

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Glad to hear that since I was somewhat concerned, so it's good to hear that you were exaggerating and trying to be humorous at the same time. I can give you a link to my recent activities which may inspire you to continue on your chosen path.

It's truly inspiring how you've transformed your space. I actually consider creating a similar display of my own, specifically highlighting small brachiopods. However, their size poses a challenge when it comes to creating a visually impactful presentation from a distance. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or ideas you have to make my brachiopod display truly stand out.  I was thinking maybe presenting them in a setup not unlike the picture I take, kind of a diorama.

Edited by Denis Arcand
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Andúril Flame of the West said:

With regards to having a large collection

there are some with much larger collections of fossils, cool rocks, and other paraphernalia. One relatively well-known collector in my area had such an immense collection that they had to have a heavy-duty support beam installed under the living room just so it wouldn’t buckle under the weight…

I'm intrigued! What types of fossils, rocks, and other items fill their collection? I'm curious about what led to the need for a heavy-duty support beam in their living room.

15 hours ago, Mochaccino said:

You could definitely say I've also caught the fossil frenzy. Actually my situation was quite similar to yours, where starting to collect and learn about fossils helped me out during some really tough times. And like you, none of my close family members see any appeal in fossils; they are just uninteresting rocks to them. Soon I began to worry that I was spending too much and collecting too fast, and that this was a growing addiction. Now however, it's gotten to the point that I know that I'm 100% crazy and obsessed, and don't even care. I just love fossils too much and they occupy my mind 24/7.

Thanks! It's recomforting to know I'm not alone. :D

2 hours ago, Andúril Flame of the West said:

One relatively well-known collector in my area had such an immense collection that they had to have a heavy-duty support beam installed under the living room just so it wouldn’t buckle under the weight…

That sounds like Ray Stanford, right?!

12 minutes ago, Denis Arcand said:

I'm intrigued! What types of fossils, rocks, and other items fill their collection? I'm curious about what led to the need for a heavy-duty support beam in their living room.

He filled his living room with hundreds of pieces of ironstone with tracks from the Potomac Group in them! He calls his living room the Stanford Museum with the sheer amount of rocks in there.

Edited by patelinho7
  • Enjoyed 1

21 minutes ago, Denis Arcand said:

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or ideas you have to make my brachiopod display truly stand out. 

Yes they do tend to be kinda small, so I can see your problem. Maybe you could back the shelves with a few blow-up photos of them which would attract observers to move closer in?

• I Agree 1

@patelinho7 was right on the spot! I was indeed referring to Ray Stanford, but unfortunately I cannot locate the exact video where they mentioned the wooden beam. However, if you are curious about his collection you can search for 'Ray Stanford dinosaur' on YouTube and there are a few news clips there that showcase his rather extensive collection. As @patelinho7 mentioned, he has many pieces of ironstone, some containing dinosaur tracks, but there are also many other rocks and artifacts. And, yes, that collection is very immense. 

• Enjoyed 2

For me- my wife of 41 years or my fossils of Millions of Years, the choice is easy, and it would give me more room. Lol

• Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1