Found a contortus today.

Shellseeker

53 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

Would @Al Dente’s teeth be narrow G. aduncus as well then, instead of P. Contortus? 

That would be my guess with the compound/complex serrations.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1

Just now, digit said:

That would be my guess with the compound/complex serrations.

Cheers.

-Ken

Then I’d say I definitely agree!

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

2 hours ago, digit said:

Wonderful! I didn't have time last night to get into the papers but I'll make time tonight. Thanks for the CliffsNotes summary. ;)

I love the image above--it is at one time a good example of the distinctive features discussed in the text and yet at a brief glance maddeningly similar if viewed briefly. It really hits home that these three forms can be easily confused if the time is not taken to learn the distinctions and to carefully assess a tooth for ID.

The example tooth from @Al Dente with the complex/compound serrations on the distal heel would then be the "narrow form" of G. aduncus. The "comparison" photo from the earlier discussion on this topic would also then show the "normal" form of G. aduncus on the top and the "narrow form" of G. aduncus on the bottom.

post-2301-0-73389200-1303848887.jpg

As these teeth are approximately the same size, it might appear that this heterodonty are either the result of jaw position (upper/lower) or possibly a male/female dimorphism as mentioned in the paper. I might question the last distinction "(4) a thicker, more prominent lingual protuberance" as that seems to be shown in the lower tooth above--unless others agree that the lower tooth above fits into the P. contortus bin.

Getting back to what started this wonderful exposition, it would appear that Jack's tooth does not display a thicker lingual protuberance and has faint complex/compound serration that would put it into the "narrow form" of G. aduncus rather than P. contortus. Have I assessed that correctly or do others have differing opinions? :shrug:

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken,  No time to read, comprehend, and respond..  Feels good that you are moving to closure. Out the door to the plane heading North  !!!  Check again late tonight... Thanks , Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Travel safe!

I think this conversation has been useful (at least to me). :)

Cheers.

-Ken

It’s been very eye opening for me, thanks to all of you knowledgeable professionals.   

safe travels Jack

Rick