Any ideas what this is?

JG13

• New Members

Western Nevada desert. Is this a rock, fossil or what? About 60 lbs, 15” x 10”x 7” thick.

IMG_5942.thumb.jpeg.b87fed3ad89b0a5ba27be2af719f234f.jpeg

IMG_5748.jpeg

IMG_5750.jpeg

IMG_5745.jpeg

It looks like a rock to me and not a fossil.  the small inclusions are worth photographing more closely, but my first impression is geological.

• I Agree 1

• New Members

This rock was in the very middle of a remote dirt 2-track road with only the top exposed, so it was probably run over by tires along with wind-polishing, very heavy and solid. I hunt a lot of rocks and hadn’t seen one like this before.

• I found this Informative 1

• 6 months later...

@JG13, welcome to the Fossil Forum!  To me your specimen looks like limestone with some chert nodules.  If you put a few drops of vinegar on the rock (not on the chert blobs) it should bubble if the rock is limestone.

Don

• 2 months later...
  • New Members

Hello Don, I’m sorry I didn’t see this comment earlier. I put some vinegar on the specimen and none of the surface area bubbled at all. Some friends thought it was maybe an old tortise shell fossil, but I still haven’t found anyone that really knows. It just sits on the back deck.

John

IMG_9389.jpeg

Morphologically, I would rule out tortoise. I would say this is a non-fossil geologic item.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer