Jaybot

I'm curious if anyone has any good papers or resources for identifying bones such as vertebrae or teeth between the various Bison species.

Here on TFF, I have seen the paper that @Harry Pristis has linked in other threads, which helps in identifying the skulls... but how can I identify other bones?

How do online merchants, and other papers know that the specimen they are displaying is Bison priscus for example?  I'm sure there is a paper somewhere, but I can't find anything.

I'm hoping some of the experts here can refer me to some handy reference material  :)

Thanks in advance.

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

I believe size is the determinant factor, as it is difficult too tell either from a cow.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

I believe size is the determinant factor, as it is difficult too tell either from a cow.

Thanks to a fellow member on TFF that recommended it, I use this paper that has been extremely beneficial to me.  I now don't have problems determining Bos vs Bison. :)

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/111680#page/1/mode/1up

Maybe I'm asking too much with attempting to determine id's between priscus, antiquus, bison, etc.

• I found this Informative 1

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne