Pumice

tncrpntr

• New Members

I found pumice in the Little Harpeth River in the Nashville Tn area.  Does anyone know why it would be there?  I can't find a history of volcanic activity in the area.

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

Would you like to show off a pic or two of this material? Thank you!

Franz Bernhard

Pumice moves with currents very easily. It could have come from somewhere upstream where there was more volcanic activity at some point through time. I don’t know much about pumice in rivers, but it washes up on beaches in a similar fashion.

• New Members
14 minutes ago, patelinho7 said:

Pumice moves with currents very easily. It could have come from somewhere upstream where there was more volcanic activity at some point through time. I don’t know much about pumice in rivers, but it washes up on beaches in a similar fashion.

I know, but I can't find what route it could possibly take to get here. 

Oh! That doesn’t look like pumice. Looks like an ironstone concretion to me. 

• I Agree 2

Pumice would be EXCEEDINGLY light. It is virtually all air and the few pieces I found in New Caledonia that washed ashore from an underwater volcano in Tonga make Cheetos cheese puffs look dense. ;)

My other thought for a pumice-mimic would be the inner cancellous bone material from a worn bone where the cortex was eroded away. I'm not quite getting that vibe from your images and so the ironstone may be a more appropriate diagnosis.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 2

Pumice should float.

Cropped and brightened:

100_0136.JPG.d5efd916cbdff0fb07884298e3814ee2.JPG

100_0135.JPG.c2cd3ab28f5355d1a87c868c8fd5ca35.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Some things that could resemble pumice, more or less:

- Volcanic scoria - Similar to pumice in formation and appearance, but basaltic in composition; could have come from landscaping rock that ended up in the river/creek

- Slag - Glassy waste material resulting from metal smelting; can contain vesicles

- Sandstone - Missing grains on the surface could resemble vesicles; could include ironstone mentioned above (I think)

- Dolostone - Tiny fossils left as molds could resemble vesicles

- Fragmentary bone - As mentioned above by digit

• I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Context is critical.

• New Members

The material I found does float although it doesn't sit on the surface.

Not even pumice sits above the surface of the water. If your piece is a floater and not a sinker then it has quite a lot of internal air spaces. I would have suspected it would have dropped like a rock (literally). :P

Always difficult to make out enigmatic items like this from photos alone. If you have a natural history museum nearby or a university with a geology department or even a local rock & mineral club, taking it to someone who can see it in-hand would probably get you the best answer.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Pumice has been used as decorative material in backyards and such. That's why I never trust anything found in a developed area as something that was there originally and not brought in by man.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!