A Macrostylocrinus crown from the Waldron Shale

Mochaccino

Hello,

I don't usually make separate posts to show off individual fossils, but I had to make an exception because this one is very special. It is a near-complete crown of a crinoid known as Macrostylocrinus striatus from the Silurian Waldron Shale of Shelby Co. Indiana, USA.

I didn't really know what it was until I had it prepped and identified by experienced collectors. Though small (2 cm) and seemingly unassuming, this fossil is exceptional because as far as I know and am told, no crown of this species has ever been found from the Waldron Shale. Until now this crinoid has only been found from this locality as armless calyxes, and even then fairly rarely. So this specimen would be the first and so far the only Waldron Shale Macrostylocrinus striatus crown in existence. I would call it a very rare fossil, but really a more appropriate descriptor might be "one-of-a-kind". Of course, one can never be 100% certain, as there is no telling what material is sitting in old collections. In any case, there is no doubt that this is an important specimen.

1435879298_DSC_7740(1).thumb.JPG.7de6e41360eb468af35b7e3718bcbf70.JPG

• Enjoyed 14

That's a wonderful find for sure! Discovering a one-of-a-kind fossil is definitely a dream of mine. I always love how feathery intact crinoid arms and pinnules look.

• Enjoyed 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice crinoid!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

There have been a number of complete Macrostylocrinus crinoids from the Waldron Shale. I don’t know where you got your information, but it is totally incorrect. A collector in Indiana and another one in Ohio have multiple specimens, some complete down to the root. 

Edited by Calymene

6 hours ago, Calymene said:

There have been a number of complete Macrostylocrinus crinoids from the Waldron Shale. I don’t know where you got your information, but it is totally incorrect. A collector in Indiana and another one in Ohio have multiple specimens, some complete down to the root. 

Well I might stand corrected, could you give me some more details on the collectors and specimens?

Edited by Mochaccino

“Might” stand corrected?? Your assessment of your “one-of-a-kind” specimen is totally incorrect. I’ll contact both collectors, but chances are they don’t want to be identified. I’ve personally seen both collections.

1 hour ago, Calymene said:

“Might” stand corrected?? Your assessment of your “one-of-a-kind” specimen is totally incorrect. I’ll contact both collectors, but chances are they don’t want to be identified. I’ve personally seen both collections.

Why so aggressive? I did clarify "as far as I know", and that there could be stuff sitting in old collections that I don't know about. Good for you that you've personally seen both collections, but if they're that secretive, I don't think it's so surprising that I didn't know about them. I have no idea who you or these collectors are, much less their material. So that's the reason for the "might".

Edited by Mochaccino

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 5:23 PM, Calymene said:

Any news from these collectors? I'm actually very curious to see other specimens because mine has a couple features that are atypical of Hall's original description in the 1800s. I've consulted experienced crinoid/echinoderm collectors and a major crinoid paleontologist, and none of them know of any complete Waldron Macrostylocrinus crowns with arms. It could be because my specimen is immature, but I'm told the ontogeny of these crinoids is not well known because juvenile forms aren't as common or well-studied.

Edited by Mochaccino

• 2 months later...

EDIT: After some more digging and asking around, a friend has confirmed that they have indeed seen other complete crowns of Waldron Macrostylocrinus in at least one private collection. One thing I haven't been able to confirm is whether those specimens have completely smooth calyxes like mine, which is one feature of my specimen that is atypical of the species, if it is even a M. striatus. In any case I am now convinced that my initial claim is completely wrong and should be corrected. I have had the title changed accordingly. 

Edited by Mochaccino

• Kane changed the title to A Macrostylocrinus crown from the Waldron Shale