Interesting way of displaying an oreodont.

fossilhunter21

Hi, everyone. :)

Just thought I would share with everyone this thing I just made to display my oreodont skull nicer. I had been thinking of ways that I could do it, and decided this would work the best for me. 

To make the insert, I had to put saran wrap around both halves of the skull. Then, using apoxie sculpt, I sculpted the insert to the the shape of the skull. This took a lot of patience, and a lot of time... I was worried I wouldn't be able to get it done before it dried. 

The reason for the weird shape in the matrix of the jaw is to help keep the insert in place.

I am not super happy with the green color, but it still looks pretty good, at least to me. I am also not sure happy with the placement...

Hope you enjoy! 

Screenshot_20230625_181852_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1690c54e4c9a1e6af800e281a4be68a6.jpgScreenshot_20230625_181856_Gallery.thumb.jpg.08a841831eb51ce8cc68fb0a824cc78c.jpgScreenshot_20230625_181901_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8378319f02e22ce838dca21c796853b1.jpgScreenshot_20230625_181920_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f7f7d9c3d3240e44e866acd38903c168.jpgScreenshot_20230625_181926_Gallery.thumb.jpg.98226797fb5913c1c42feb9fe3bdc5e3.jpg

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

Edited by fossilhunter21
  • Enjoyed 7

I like it! Have you thought about covering it with some powdered matrix so it looks like stone?

1 hour ago, Danielb said:

Looks good.  Nice prep, did you do it yourself?

Thanks. Yep, did the prep myself.

1 hour ago, Randyw said:

I like it! Have you thought about covering it with some powdered matrix so it looks like stone?

Well, I tried to fix a few issues with the insert, and unfortunately it did not go well. So, I might get some more putty, and make another one.

I have thought about doing something like that, but I think the powder might not look good over time. I might experiment with some things though. 

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

Lovely skull :envy:

I would remove as much of the front of the putty as possible . Also instead of the putty been curved at the front I would cut it in a straight line . For me curving the front makes it look more natural but the front been straight would show it is part of the display and the mouth stand out more if the top and bottom jaw had some more  hang over from the putty . Can you paint the putty or cove it in PVA and like my friend Randy said cover it in sand matrix? Does the putty come in dark shades? . If it was a  darker shade of brown I think it would look even better. 

Cheers Bobby 

2D44266E-21C2-4720-BE4B-D78B6D1E1D8A.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Lovely skull :envy:

I would remove as much of the front of the putty as possible . Also instead of the putty been curved at the front I would cut it in a straight line . For me curving the front makes it look more natural but the front been straight would show it is part of the display and the mouth stand out more if the top and bottom jaw had some more  hang over from the putty . Can you paint the putty or cove it in PVA and like my friend Randy said cover it in sand matrix? Does the putty come in dark shades? . If it was a  darker shade of brown I think it would look even better. 

Cheers Bobby 

2D44266E-21C2-4720-BE4B-D78B6D1E1D8A.jpeg

Thanks, Bobby. :)

I was also thinking it might look better with less putty in the front. But, I never thought about cutting the front straight. I think that might be a good idea. 

I am not sure how well paint or powder would stay nice, but I will see if I can try it out. Yes, I would love to find some brown putty. I think that would work best. I think I will see if I can find any. 

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

44 minutes ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Thanks, Bobby. :)

I was also thinking it might look better with less putty in the front. But, I never thought about cutting the front straight. I think that might be a good idea. 

I am not sure how well paint or powder would stay nice, but I will see if I can try it out. Yes, I would love to find some brown putty. I think that would work best. I think I will see if I can find any. 

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

You’re welcome. I love to  see how our members display their tresures , especially when like here they are quite creative. 

cheers Bobby 

• Enjoyed 1

Very cool, the prep work looks great! You've got a really nice skull there.

• Thank You 1