Eoharpes ottawaensis, Billings

bazzite

• New Members

Hi, please excuse me if I've posted this in the wrong place.  I just got a trilobite out of a friend's estate, but I can't find any information about it.   The label states:

Eoharpes ottowaensis, Billings

M. Ord. (Kimmswick Fm.)

Frankford, Mo.

My friend was generally very good about properly labeling his specimens, and he was familiar with Ordovician trilobites in Missouri, so this one's a bit puzzling.   Maybe a typo?   Any help or suggestions that you have will be greatly appreciated.

trilobite.jpg

Dolichoharpes uniserialis is the harpetid species from the Kimmswick Formation. It was originally designated Eoharpes uniserialis Raymond 1925.

Subsequently, it was redescribed as a new genus and became the type species of Dolichoharpes Whittington 1949.

Bradley, J.H. 1930
Fauna of the Kimmswick Limestone of Missouri and Illinois.
Walker Museum Contributions, 2(6):219-290

Raymond, P.E. 1925
Some Trilobites of the Lower Middle Ordovician of Eastern North America.
Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology, 67(1):3-180  PDF LINK

Whittington, H.B. 1949
Dolichoharpes and the Origin of the Harpid Fringe.
American Journal of Science, Series 5, 247(4):276-285  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

If you don’t hear from a Forum expert like piranha, put the taxonomic name into the main search box at Mindat. Click on link for species. It leads to other databases. When I use Mindat search I notice that under taxonomic status it says “synonym”. Click the species listed in taxonomic status next it and it should say “accepted”.

https://www.mindat.org

EBBC9192-D1D3-4B8E-A90C-4B1B0B22B1FD.thumb.jpeg.94f4e002ae37b5630233b64d431a6f57.jpeg

CE65C8B3-C349-4238-B397-F664415281B2.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I can't say anything at all to the validity or actuality of trilobite names, but it seems to me that you have a typo in the species name and that it should read ottawaensis

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

25 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I can't say anything at all to the validity or actuality of trilobite names, but it seems to me that you have a typo in the species name and that it should read ottawaensis

I think that you are right about the revised spelling. Google shows fewer hits with the spelling provided by the OP. It appears that the accepted name is now Hibbertia valcourensis. Maybe Piranha can confirm that the trilobite is Hibbertia valcourensis. Not sure why discussion turned to Dolichoharpes uniserialis.

Here is the info from Mindat:

https://www.mindat.org/taxon-8523897.html

https://www.mindat.org/taxon-8470411.html

2EA5D321-C994-4BB0-BE57-EF35B302DDC8.png

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

8 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

It appears that the accepted name is now Hibbertia valcourensis. 

Maybe Piranha can confirm that the trilobite is Hibbertia valcourensis. 

Not sure why discussion turned to Dolichoharpes uniserialis.

You should not place so much reliance in Mindat and Paleobiology Database. They are very limited resources with regard to precise trilobite taxonomy.

Hibbertia ottawaensis (Billings 1865) and Hibbertia valcourensis Shaw 1968 are both valid species---they are not synonymous.

The discussion 'turned' to Dolichoharpes uniserialis  because that is the only member of the Harpetidae found in the Kimmswick Formation.

Billings, E. 1865
Palaeozoic Fossils. Volume 1. Containing Descriptions and Figures of

New or Little Known Species of Organic Remains from the Silurian Rocks.

Geological Survey of Canada, 1:1-426  PDF LINK

Ebach, M.C., McNamara, K.J. 2002
A Systematic Revision of the Family Harpetidae (Trilobita).
Records of the Western Australian Museum, 21(3):235-267  PDF LINK

Shaw, F.C. 1968
Early Middle Ordovician Chazy Trilobites of New York.
New York State Museum Memoir, 17:1-163  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Eoharpes ottawaensis, Billings
45 minutes ago, piranha said:

You should not place so much reliance in Mindat and Paleobiology Database. They are very limited resources with regard to precise trilobite taxonomy.

Hibbertia ottawaensis (Billings 1865) and Hibbertia valcourensis Shaw 1968 are both valid species---they are not synonymous.

The discussion 'turned' to Dolichoharpes uniserialis  because that is the only member of the Harpetidae found in the Kimmswick Formation.

Thanks.

I’ve long known PaleoBioDB and GBIF that are accessed through Mindat are not perfect, confusing and sometimes contradictory. I had come to the conclusion that experts in the taxonomic field, like you, are needed to straighten things out.

• New Members

Thank you to everyone for helping with this!   I wouldn't have been able to sort this out on my own.   You've saved this from being one of those "what the heck is this" samples.