Ecphoras, mosasaur tooth, and other finds from Greens Mill Run last week

fossil_lover_2277

Found these at Greens Mill Run last week, first ever ecphoras! The whale cervical vert. is ~ six inches from left to right, it's fairly beat up. The mosasaur tooth is pretty worn too, but the articulated scallop was nice.

gmr pic 6.jpg

gmr pic 5.jpg

gmr pic 7.jpg

gmr pic 4.jpg

gmr pic 3.jpg

gmr pic 2.jpg

gmr pic 1.jpg

• Enjoyed 9

Very nice! I had no idea you could find Ecphora there. I've seen fragments of scallops, no whole ones though. I usually go just to pick up a metric ton of belemnites, haha.

• Enjoyed 1

3 minutes ago, Echinoid Express said:

Very nice! I had no idea you could find Ecphora there. I've seen fragments of scallops, no whole ones though. I usually go just to pick up a metric ton of belemnites, haha.

There are a whole lot of belemnites at the place.

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, fossil_lover_2277 said:

There are a whole lot of belemnites at the place.

Indeed! On my last stop over there last Friday I was able to find my first one over 7.6 cm (3 inches). They're a really interesting fossil that a lot of people are unaware of. I've been filling up tiny craft store jars with small specimens/fragments and giving them to people, they make neat little gifts. 

• Enjoyed 1

13 hours ago, Echinoid Express said:

Indeed! On my last stop over there last Friday I was able to find my first one over 7.6 cm (3 inches). They're a really interesting fossil that a lot of people are unaware of. I've been filling up tiny craft store jars with small specimens/fragments and giving them to people, they make neat little gifts. 

It’s weird there’s so many there, and then at like Holden beach, for example, you don’t find any, even though PeeDee formation exposures are present there.

Edited by fossil_lover_2277

2 hours ago, fossil_lover_2277 said:

It’s weird there’s so many there, and then at like Holden beach, for example, you don’t find any, even though PeeDee formation exposures are present there.

I think only the lower portion of the Peedee Formation has the large number of belemnites.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

I think only the lower portion of the Peedee Formation has the large number of belemnites.

That’s interesting. Do you by chance have any papers in this? Curious what their thoughts are on the explanation for it.