Pond turtle

Bobby Rico

Not so much fossil news but fossils related. 

Quite interesting and I would love to see pond terrapin in the U.K. If the environment was ideal. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/07/european-pond-turtle-could-return-to-british-rivers-and-lakes 

The Wretham specimens are held by the University Museum of Zoology, Cambridge. 

C966A511-4932-493C-B7EB-CB992EEBF6C6.jpeg

@Tidgy's Dad

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

About ten years back there was a flood in the medina, We are on a hill, but the road that runs to the gate of the medina is the lowest point and was under water as the river runs under a part of it. We had to cross the road by rowing boat for a day. Or wade, it was only a foot deep at the most. 

When the water receded, in a similar fasion to my hairline, there was all sorts of silt, dirt and small rocks left behind. 

Early in the morning, I was out for milk and saw a European pond turtle quite happily wandering down our African road. 

I picked it up and returned it to the river, before somebody had if for breakfast.

It didm't seem bothered at being handled at all. 

Nor very grateful. 

And off it paddled. 

Another time on the way back from the mountains, we stopped off to stretch our legs and I wandered over to the riverbank and there, lying perfectly still at the bottom under the crystal clear water was a European pond turtle. 

My Moroccan friend, who was the driver that day, asked what I was looking at. 

I showed him and told him what it was. 

"Is it edible?", he asked. 

"No!" I replied, though I'm not entirely certain that is true. 

He shrugged and walked away, having lost any interest. 

After a few more minutes, the reptile did likewise. 

• Enjoyed 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

8 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

was out for milk and saw a European pond turtle quite happily wandering down our African road. 

I picked it up and returned it to the river, before somebody had if for breakfast.

It didm't seem bothered at being handled at all. 

Yea if they do introduced them back to the U.K. I hope the locals don’t start eating them. :zzzzscratchchin: not really they be on the protected list. 
I would love to see on on the U.K.. 

thanks for the stories mate much appreciated.

• Enjoyed 1