• New Members

Hi, I'm new to the site. Can you help me determine if this "Oviraptor Egg" is authentic?

It was purchased from a popular auction site and received less than a month ago. It is claimed to have been purchased from a Japanese collection which originally purchased the egg from its original owner in Mongolia in the 1980's.

IMG_3980.jpeg

IMG_3981.jpeg

IMG_3982.jpeg

IMG_3983.jpeg

IMG_3984.jpeg

IMG_3985.jpeg

IMG_3986.jpeg

Welcome

The eggshell looks very suspicious and it's not typical of the ornamentation you see on Elongatoolithus type eggs.  I can say the same for the matrix.  Bottom line AVOID I think it's a replica

• I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 1

Really does look like it was textured with burlap and painted, doesn't it?

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 4

• New Members
14 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Welcome

The eggshell looks very suspicious and it's not typical of the ornamentation you see on Elongatoolithus type eggs.  I can say the same for the matrix.  Bottom line AVOID I think it's a replica

Thank you for responding. I want to learn more, can you share what you’re looking for with the shell/matrix? What is suspicious and atypical about it? What would be considered more typical, or less suspicious?

This is what the ornamentation should look like in an Elongatoolithus type egg.

Compare it to your "egg"

Screenshot_20230709_173552_Firefox.thumb.jpg.df5177ade0eb4baffc64924b40e82541.jpg

With the matrix it just does not look natural.  There is also, what appears like fill, at the intersection between the egg and matrix, its a different texture

Edited

• I found this Informative 2

Here are a couple of eggs that have a bit of resto but you can see the matrix and eggshell.  The back egg looks better where the eggshell on the front one has some resto

8ff49f8a-0aee-4761-9749-54a717638cef.thumb.jpg.6d3e0d39fe94f4c4c292c76da6201ea8.jpg

• New Members
10 minutes ago, Troodon said:

This is what the ornamentation should look like in an Elongatoolithus type egg.

Compare it to your "egg"

Screenshot_20230709_173552_Firefox.thumb.jpg.df5177ade0eb4baffc64924b40e82541.jpg

With the matrix it just does not look natural.  There is also, what appears like fill, at the intersection between the egg and matrix, its a different texture

Edited

Thank you. All this info is much appreciated. Comparing the photos you've provided against my item in question, it appears the typical ornamentation is more drip-like, or like protruding beads. Where mine has inset hole/crater-like texture, like Ken said, as if someone painted over burlap.

Always a good idea to check with the experts before considering a non-trivial purchase. We have some deep knowledge here on the forum and they don't mind helping someone avoid an unfortunate purchase. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

3 hours ago, dkurbel said:

It is claimed to have been purchased from a Japanese collection which originally purchased the egg from its original owner in Mongolia in the 1980's.

Whenever you see claims like this, if the seller provides no documentation, there's a good chance it was smuggled. Best to avoid.