My first day on the York River

Stingray

Well today was my first productive hunt on the York River. Hopefully when I go back and focus on teeth maybe I’ll score some nice ones. Did have a cow shark but lost stuff happens. Anyway enjoy…

IMG_2010.jpeg

IMG_2009.jpeg

IMG_2008.jpeg

IMG_2005.jpeg

IMG_2006.jpeg

IMG_2007.jpeg

IMG_2004.jpeg

IMG_2003.jpeg

• Enjoyed 9

Glad you were able to get out there, Chris.
Congratulations on a successful hunt!

Those teeth will be out there waiting for you. ;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

27 minutes ago, patelinho7 said:

Are those Chesapecten jeffersonius?

Yes large scallops are indeed , I found a few in excellent condition :thumbsu:

Edited by Stingray
  • Enjoyed 1

The shells in the first two pictures are not native.  Those are Florida Plio-Pleistocene, perhaps used for erosion control.  I believe the pectens are Chesapecten madisonius, so Upper Pliocene Zone 2 Yorktown.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

39 minutes ago, MikeR said:

The shells in the first two pictures are not native.  Those are Florida Plio-Pleistocene, perhaps used for erosion control.  I believe the pectens are Chesapecten madisonius, so Upper Pliocene Zone 2 Yorktown.

They look very similar to ones I've found in North Carolina, either from Aurora or the beaches, could be another option (slightly closer)

19 minutes ago, bockryan said:

They look very similar to ones I've found in North Carolina, either from Aurora or the beaches, could be another option (slightly closer)

I have found Arcinella cornuta in the southern part of NC, Duplin and Waccamaw Formations, but I am not aware of Strombus being found that far north.  Both are tropical or sub-tropical species and not reported from the Yorktown.

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

I have found Arcinella cornuta in the southern part of NC, Duplin and Waccamaw Formations, but I am not aware of Strombus being found that far north.  Both are tropical or sub-tropical species and not reported from the Yorktown.

Well the shells were in situ buried near a cedar tree that was at least 100 years old . So unless old timers went to Florida for fill and buried them under about 27 feet of over burden then they are that far north. What can I say they were found were they were found. However after a closer look I do con cure with Chesapecten madisonius identification thanks.

Edited by Stingray

Congratulations.  You have found the northern-most historical range of Strombus in the United States.

Edited by MikeR

4 hours ago, MikeR said:

Congratulations.  You have found the northern-most historical range of Strombus in the United States.

Well it won’t be a first for me . I found probably the furthest Diplura trilobite in New York State that I know of on a hunt with two other fourm members @JeffreyP . I have also found two Terataspis grandis, trilobites confirmed by a paleontologist :fingerscrossed: sometimes ya just get lucky.

Edited by Stingray

@MikeR I apologize, I went back to the area and spoke with someone with more local knowledge of that particular site. The US Military did indeed back fill that particular area when building a series of structures pushed up against the bank. Over time the wooden structures disintegrated leavening the compacted soil exposed for erosion , hence my finding what appeared to be a bank erosion. So it appears this was fill courtesy of the US military. Thanks for sparking my interest to investigate further into why this occurred further north than the record would indicate. @bockryan

Edited by Stingray

43 minutes ago, Stingray said:

@MikeR I apologize, I went back to the area and spoke with someone with more local knowledge of that particular site. The US Military did indeed back fill that particular area when building a series of structures pushed up against the bank. Over time the wooden structures disintegrated leavening the compacted soil exposed for erosion , hence my finding what appeared to be a bank erosion. So it appears this was fill courtesy of the US military. Thanks for sparking my interest to investigate further into why this occurred further north than the record would indicate. @bockryan

Always cool when local history intersects with fossils!